XXVIII

ISABELLE'S POV

"Are you kidding?"

Jada brought her hands up to her face and rubbed her temples in irritation, closing her eyes simultaneously. "No, Isabelle, I'm not kidding."

"So you're going to abandon the responsibilities of taking care of two little girls and being with your mate, just so you can stay in Toronto with your friend? A friend who's completely capable of taking care of himself?"

Still rubbing her head, she nodded slowly, eyes still shut. "I will be staying in Toronto. Gabriel Caine said that your pack could move to the available territory. I have no intention of leaving Charlie or Arabelle behind."

"But you're okay with leaving me behind, is that it?"

Her eyes snapped open and she narrowed them on me, her hands dropping to her sides. "What part of 'Gabriel said that your pack could move to the available territory' did you not understand?"

"So you expect me to move my entire pack to a different country just so you can live near your friend?" I asked slowly, as if she were stupid. She clearly must have been if she even thought to suggest such an idiotic thing to me.

"Can we not have this argument right now," Jada sighed, "I feel shitty and we still have a few days left. We'll figure it out later."

"No," I pushed, "we're going to figure it out right now. You expect me to move my entire pack to another country for you?"

With an exasperated groan, she threw her hands up in the air. "Don't move your pack then, Isabelle, I don't give a shit. You happy now? Can I go lie down without you fucking bothering me?"

"No, you can't. You made a commitment to me and to the two little girls downstairs. You can't abandon them just because you want to be all buddy buddy with Julian. I'm your mate, Jada! Not him! I'm the person you put before everyone!"

Jada scoffed. Turning on her heel, she paced back and forth for a few seconds, her jaw clenched, eyes shut tightly. And then she snapped.

"Julian is the most important person in my entire life." The words were uttered so quietly and so monotonously that it took me a couple seconds to process it. She continued, "I do not care that you are my mate. I love you, and you know that, but never ever assume that I will ever put you before Julian.

"I am not asking you to move your entire pack across the country. I am not asking you to give up your pack or to give up Arabelle. I am telling you that with or without you, I am staying in Toronto. I am telling you that I will do whatever it takes to see the girls, but I am not living in Hawaii with you. You can decide what to do with that information. I am staying in Toronto. With Julian. End of discussion."

"Are you having an affair?" I yelled. Mentally I knew that they'd never been more than friends, and if they had, it was in the past. Mentally I knew that it was probably one of the stupidest questions to ever leave my mouth. But I wanted to hear her say no. Especially after telling me that he was more important than me, her soul mate.

"Do you even listen to yourself when you talk?" Jada asked, irritation leaking into her tone. "Or are you just fucking stupid?"

"It was a yes or no question, Jada. Answer it."

"Do you really fucking think I'm sleeping with Julian right now?"

"Answer. The. Question."

"If you don't know the answer for yourself, you can seriously kiss my ass, Isabelle. I deserve a lot more respect from you."

"Answer the fucking question!" I screamed at her. What was so fucking hard about answering a simple yes or no question? Why couldn't she just shut the fuck up for one second and reassure me? Tell me she wasn't sleeping with her best friend so that my wolf would settle down? So I would settle down?