Chapter 1

Tenth Avenue North- 'I Have This Hope'

(Hosanna's POV)

Hope... that's what I feel about all of this.  Hope for my future, hope for Dauntless, hope for the city and beyond.  Eric drives down the same path that we usually take to the cottage.  I watch the sky as we progress around the fence.  From this view, it still feels like we're locked inside of the fence, but we're not.
I grin as the oak tree passes by on the hill in the distance—inside the fence.  I feel Eric's fingers brush against my knee.  I glance to him, seeing that he's smirking.  His eyes meet mine for a moment before focusing back on the road ahead.  We're both reminded of that unforgettable night when he decided he wanted to share his life with me.  I sigh in contentment.  Our path in life hasn't been without its bumps and turns so far, but if we continue to put our trust in God's plan, I believe it will all work out in the end. 
I see the dirt and gravel path for our cottage pass by on the right and I smile.  I hope April and Jonah are enjoying their vacation together.  We cleaned up the tables and chairs, the food mess, and everything else after the wedding before we left them there to enjoy their honeymoon.  They were surprised but so very grateful.  They were just going to go back to his apartment.  We were all in on it though. Ellen and Dan both packed them each a bag. I bet the bedroom was a surprise, too.  We decorated it similarly to our bedroom on our special night.  It was actually my idea and I regret not doing something so romantic for Ava and Sam.  We did take care of Ryan's place though, but they never said anything. I know it really helped to make our wedding night even more special. 
I sigh happily thinking about where we're all headed today.  This is an exciting time for me, for everyone in the truck.  I turn around and glance at Lizzy, Uncle David, and Tori.  Lizzy looks up from her notebook and smiles at me in excitement.  I grin back at her.  She's got a week's worth of class work to keep up on but she said she's already done most of it.  Tori and David both stare out the windows in opposite directions.  Tori knows where we're going but David was just told that we have a surprise for him and he needed to come with us.  I made him promise to return—the same as Tori.  He knows I'm Divergent, as well as Eric, and that we won't harm him.  I think he's a little confused about all of this, especially since many leaders are coming.  He was so excited to meet Elizabeth though and glad she's staying with us. 
I look into the passenger's side view mirror, seeing my brother laughing in the vehicle behind us.  He and Tris are following us in Max's truck.  I smile. He looks to be in such high spirits.  I notice a break up ahead in the trees and Eric turns onto that next path.  I watch in the reflection as several of Dauntless's trucks turn down this very trail.  We curve around and pull up to the campsite. 
Eric parks and I step out to stretch my legs as the entire procession pulls up behind us. I know we'll be here for a little while to make sure everyone is with us and knows where to go.  I walk over towards the the sandy beach and admire everything before us. Max and Tobias get out of their truck first, then Tris. She stares in awe at the pond. It really is beautiful here, too. It's different though from the cottage. There is a clearing with huge rows of large, wooden and stone cabins—enough to accommodate several classes worth of children. There are a few smaller cottages off to the side in rows as well for those who just want to vacation here—where Sam and Ava came for their honeymoon. There are a few other buildings dispersed around the space but I'm not entirely sure what they're for—probably restrooms.  A large mess hall is close to the water's edge. It reminds me of the dome at Amity but it's significantly smaller. There's a huge dock jutting out from the beach. Several canoes are tied up as well as rowboats. I hear the lapping of the water and almost wish we could stay... almost. I know we have a very important, life-changing day ahead of us.
"I wish we could've come here in Abnegation," a familiar voice says from beside me.
I smile up at him but look around for my husband. "So how are things in Erudite, Caleb?" I ask.
"Pretty good actually. I'm surprisingly on the short list of candidates the board is considering for leader," he says excitedly, a little bashfully.
I smile at him before catching Eric's eye. He's talking with a few people. It looks like he's sending Tris over here.
"Congratulations," I grin.
"Is something wrong?" he asks worriedly.
"It's just," I say biting my lip. I know he's always had a crush on me and I don't want Eric upset at us being alone. She's halfway here... what do I say? "I heard about the list. I'm surprised Riley is on it."
"Riley?" he questions laughing. "I didn't even realize he was my competition. How do you know who's on it?"
"David," I explain with a shrug.
"Are there really cameras everywhere like that?" he asks.
"Yes," I respond as Tris walks up to us.
"Caleb, Hosanna, what's going on?" she questions.
Caleb shrugs. "Nothing, I just wanted to talk," he tells her glancing at me and then down scuffing his shoes on the ground. "Can you believe how much she's changed?"
"Yeah, when Eric put his arm around you at the net, I couldn't believe it when he called you his wife. I was in shock. He definitely scared all of the male initiates," she laughs. "You should see him fight," she boasts to her brother.
Caleb glances over his shoulder at my husband. He's organizing everything and speaking with the drivers. "He can be pretty scary," he admits rubbing his fingers together and staring at them. I think his handshakes probably hurt Caleb. "I was surprised to see you with a guy like that," he says quietly, almost to himself. I furrow my brows.
"Oh? Who'd you expect her to end up with?" Tris laughs surprised.
Caleb blushes a little and turns his face away. "I never congratulated you. I just wanted to tell you that I'm glad you're happy. You look happy—more so than I've ever seen," he tells me bashfully. 
I smile.  "Thank you, Caleb. It means a lot that you would say so.  Eric does make me happy," I reply. 
"I... I also want to apologize," he says softly.  He looks to his sister and back down at his shoes.  "For..."
"Of course I forgive you, Caleb.  Don't worry about it," I insist so he's not so uncomfortable.  He meets my eyes and smiles a little but he's still fidgeting. 
He frowns as if what he says next is a struggle.  "I'm so sorry about what happened with your father.  If I had known..." he tells me with his voice cracking.  I reach out and hug him.  Tris joins me, too. 
"It's okay, Caleb.  I'm safe now," I explain.  He cries a little in my arms, holding on tightly to me. 
"I'm so sorry," he whispers. 
"Shh," I respond rubbing his back in comfort. 
He calms down after a minute and Eric looks up to us frowning.  I'm sure he sees us both consoling him.  Caleb slowly backs away from me but holds my hand. 
"I'm so glad you're happy now.  You deserve it—more than anyone," he tells me sniffling. 
I give him a sad smile and squeeze his hand.  "Thank you," I reply softly.  "I'll be alright.  Believe it or not, my big, scary husband protects me and he's very gentle and caring.  I'll be okay," I explain soothingly.  I think he's worried about me. 
He nods in understanding and tries to meet my eyes.  He gives me a sad look again but hopeful. 
"Baby?" Eric calls out to me softly as he approaches.  "We're ready."  He takes my hand and leads me over to his truck.  He opens the door for me and helps me in.  He kisses my cheek before closing the door.  As he walks to the driver's side, I glance back to see Caleb's eyes on us.  He has a smile on his face.  I think my big, scary husband just took away his worries.