0 | 2

"This isn't even food!"
caterpillars | jake

____

"Good Morning Jake. Whatcha reading?" I heard a sickly sweet voice drone as I walked up to the food trays, book in hand. Looking up to see the cafeteria lady smiling brightly at me while batting her lashes.

Eewwww... What was this ladies name again?

"Good Morning. Ready for another day in hell?" I smirked, quickly grabbing my oats so I could get away as soon as possible.

I really should know her name to be honest, she's served me breakfast every day for the past five weeks, always winking at me or some shit.

"As pleasant as ever I see." She chirped, batting her lashes again.

Someone should really report that woman. She's making me uncomfortable.

"And don't you know it," I called walking away to my table in the middle of the room. "Hello Mads," I said sitting down, not surprised she beat me here.

"I see you're out early. Did you piss your bed or something?" She grinned, flicking her blonde hair over her shoulder and staring down at me from her perch up on the table.

"Can't you sit on a seat like everyone else Mads? And to answer your question, no. I did not. I simply never went to sleep."

"Ahhh... What book was it this time Jake?" I looked down, she always knew.

"Slaughterhouse Five" I murmured.

"Haven't you read that already?"

"Yes. It's not my fault it's a great book, and it's not like I have many options in this loony bin." I picked at my oatmeal. "This isn't even food! It's fucking glue!" I exclaimed standing up.

"Well, it's not a five-star restaurant Jake. What do you expect? Margret is a shit cook. Just don't eat it, I don't." She looked at me as though I was stupid. Of course she would say that.

Margret. That's her name.

"Whatever. Let's just go." I stood up.

Two weeks. Then I'm out of this place, no more glue and no more creepy old women, I thought just as my book was ripped out of my hand.

"Would you look at that pretty boy's reading again," Dex said as I spun around to face him.

Ahhh... Dex.

I hate the bastard.

He's the reason I'm here.

"Give it back mate," I said calmly.

"Why would I do that pretty?" I raised my brows at him.

Really? Pretty? I never understood the nickname. I mean, I wasn't pretty by any standards. Black bags lay below my hollowed out eyes caused by long nights, and my limp hair that needed to be cut hang in front of my face.

I wanted it cut. But that would require scissors. Too bad we have none here. In fact, I don't think I have seen a sharp object the entire 8 weeks that I've been here.

But back to the point.

Pretty? I'm not pretty. Even if I was though, why is it an insult?

Sorry that we all don't look like the rear end of a cow Dex.

"Just give it back Dex." I held my hand out not wanting a fight. I was confident, so confident that for once, just maybe he would be a decent person.

Dex grabbed my arm and started to twist it.

I was wrong.

A fight it is.

"Bloody bastard!" I spat as I threw a punch in his face so fast that he couldn't dodge it.

A grin spanned across my face as I heard the satisfying crack, of his nose. Screams sounded out around us.

Fucking drama queens.

Dex stumbled forward, trying to take me down to the ground, but I moved out the way before he could catch me and kicked him straight in the back, knocking him down.

I let out a low whistle as he hit the ground.

"That ones gonna leave a mark buddy." I said, smile evident in my voice.

Not going to lie. I missed fighting.

I was just about to stomp on the bloke when I felt strong arms wrap around me and haul me back.

"Jake! This is not acceptable. Go to the office now!" One of the guard's yelled, spittle landing on my face. I wiped it off, spitting in his face.

"Not acceptable my ass!" I yelled walking towards the door.

Just as I reached it I noticed Margret standing by the door holding out tissues, still vying for my attention.

"Oh Jake sweetie have these!" She said pushing the tissues into my hands.

"Oh fuck off Margret and take your glue and cougar ways with you." I snapped throwing them back at her before storming out.

___

Fuck.

I was so close. 8 weeks without fighting. I was going to be out in a fortnight.

I guess I can kiss that goodbye I though as I walked into the office without even bothering to knock.

Caterpillar looked up at me. Eyebrows raised, if you could even call them that.

I mean has the guy never heard of tweezers? I thought as the white furry things looked back at me.

"Mr. Eve's How may I help you?" His deep voice rumbled.

"It's Jake."

"Mr. Eve's? Why are you here?" I plonked down in the chair in front of him. Sighing.

"I punched a kid." He looked at me surprised.

"Oh, Jake. You were doing so well. What made you do it?" I sighed again.

"He stole my book and wouldn't give it back." I sounded distant, and I was.

I'm not going to lie.

These eyebrows had me distracted.

"And so you punched him? Do you think it was called for?" He said condescendingly.

"Oh! Don't patronize me caterpillars!" I snapped, finally back in the moment.

"Fine. You know what this means Jake?"

"Yep," I said, picking at the peeling fabric on the chair.

"5 more weeks. Your sentence has been extended."

And with that, I left the office.

Punched a wall.

And broke my hand.

Fuck.

____

Love, love, looooovvvvveeeeee y'all.