2

'She was your mother.' Tobias really didn't expect.
'Wow. Why did she not pick you? I'd like you as a father.' Severus laughed at this one.
'Your father will be turning in his grave.' The man sounded almost joyful.
'She didn't pick me, because in a fit of rage I called her something that was vile.'
'Mudblood.' Tobias blurted.
'How did you?'
'I'm sorry, I can just sometimes hear the thoughts of others. I can't always help it.' Tobias didn't want to be in trouble with Severus.
'You're a legilimens.' Severus whispered.
'A what?' Tobias had no clue what that was, and he knew quite a bit about magic and it's forms.
'It's powerful magic, only few wizards and witches have learnt it, few powerful wizards and witches. A rare gift born to a person naturally, almost unheard of.' Tobias had no clue, did this make him special.
'Come, you can sleep with me in my dorm tonight. Tomorrow you are to return to your dormitory and sleep there.' Severus stood and left the classroom with Tobias in tow. He knew this was the end of the conversation.

He followed close behind the young but intimidating Professor, he tried to think of where he could learn about this power, this gift that was thrusted upon him at birth. He could go to the library, the restricted section he still had the note Professor Snape gave him first year, so getting in there wouldn't be a problem. He wanted to know the extent to his power, what he could master and what he couldn't. Maybe he could sneak out some of the Professors own personal books. That could be a risk, he could just ask. He began pondering on what he would do with his life after Hogwarts, he knew he would be able to get the grades he needed, to do anything he wanted. Tobias knew, that his brother was leaning towards an Auror, he knew that he knew before his brother even knew what he wanted to do with his life. Harry was all about saving people, putting people before himself.

He climbed into his bed at the other end of the Professors room, he was on his back as the man decided to lay on his side. Tobias could not sleep, not with all of his thoughts running wild. His past, growing up he was constantly living in different homes. They settled on Tonks when he was three, he suffered two years of never being good enough. No family could bend to his needs, each member of what he recalled was named 'the order', were busy. Missions, targeted, he was unsafe. Then Tonks gave up everything for him, settled down and raised him. Dumbledore never thought he would remember, remember every week a new face. Then weeks of pass the parcel, he would have done a full circle. It was a continuous circle. Depressive, he could never grow to love one.

'Tobias, are you okay?' He heard the groggy voice of Severus Snape, had he fallen asleep so soon.
'Yes why?' Tobias whispered out, he then saw the clock, he hadn't slept since he had laid down.
'It's 4 o'clock in the morning, and I can hear a soft whimper. We left Cody with the Weasleys who wanted company whilst their children are away from home.' Tobias saw a shadow outline of the potions Professor, a small light flickered on and he saw Tobias. His Godsons tear stained face.
'Why are you crying?' He sat on the edge, a hand on Tobias, who now had sat up. Tobias had no realised he had been crying.
'When, that night happened, I was constantly passed about. It felt as if nobody wanted me, now I feel guilty because my mothers, both of them gave up everything for me. I...I just get in the way. All the time.' Tobias muttered, he had began shaking.
'Come here.' Severus pulled him onto his lap, this was new to him, holding a child. Comforting one.

They sat together, until the morning sun rose, by this time Tobias had fallen asleep. Tucked into the mans chest. He had a long day ahead of him tomorrow, a full day of lessons, and then double quidditch practice for tomorrow's large game. He needed rest, after last years fiasco, Severus made sure to make this boys safety his priority. Not that he would share this. Not with a single soul. His head dropped, the small boys face was so young. So innocent, he knew this would never last. His main goal was to protect it, for as long as he could. The world didn't need another Severus Snape, one was enough, he wanted this child. This small, little miracle of a human, to be all he could have been. Softly he put the boy back into bed, the older male could not sleep now. It was early in the morning, any attempt would be futile. He changed and went to the kitchen, he would need coffee, a lot of coffee. Four cups later he deemed it enough, it was now seven in the morning. He needed to wake the boy, he summoned him clean uniform, and placed it on his own bed. After he shook the boy awake he left for one final cup of coffee, it would be a long day. At least that was what he told himself on his sixth cup.

Tobias left along with Severus, they went to the great hall and as usual, Tobias sat with Draco. Nothing had changed between them, they still acted as an old married couple. Arguing about small things, insignificant things. The topic of the morning so far was how Draco could eat so many pancakes. Tobias liked pancakes, but he was full after four, five at the best. So when Draco had demolished ten, with four scoops of ice cream, two wafers, two cuts of butter and chocolate sauce. It riled Tobias, said he would die from the amount he consumed. The duo fought about it for the whole breakfast: even through charms lesson.