iv

I walked into the ward with a muffin in one hand and a coffee in the other.

"Morning, Stitches!" I hear Esma say from a room I pass.

"Morning Esma!" I say back and continue walking to my destination.

As I reach my room I take a deep breath. Hopeful that he's asleep. But as I open the door I'm immediately disappointed.

"Good morning, Stitches." A smiling Poe Dameron says from my table.

"My name is not Stitches." I say and close the door with my foot.

I walk over to my counter and set down my coffee and muffin. Then I turn towards my patient, studying him for a moment before digging my hand in my pocket. While I do this Poe's eyes trail me up and down again.

"You're wearing pants." He says before raising an eyebrow at me.

"Good observation." I say and pull out my gloves and slip them on.

I walk over to Poe and undo his straps on him arm.

"I'm sorry about yesterday." He says, looking at what I'm doing.

I inspect the stitching before I slowly lift his arm. He lets out a low hiss.

"I chose to believe it was the anesthesia talking." I reply and lift his arm a bit higher, gaining another small hiss.

Poe laughs.

I lift his arm about 7 inches off the table.

"Ow ow ow ow!" Poe shouts and I gently lower his arm back on the table.

"I think you're alright to go to recovery." I say and head to my chair.

"You mean I get an actual bed." Poe asks.

I sit down and spin around, crossing my leg over the other and reaching for my breakfast.

"That's right." I say and start eating.

It's silent for a few minutes as I work through documents. I finish my coffee and start eating my muffin as Poe speaks.

"Hey, uh," I turn my attention to him. "Could I, uh, maybe have some?"

I realize that he means my muffin.

"Of course," I say and spin around to the intercom. "But first lets get you onto a bed."

I press the buzzer.

"Damien, Fu, Dr. Coven's office please. And bring a bed."

In about thirty seconds two nurses came in rolling a bed.

"Good morning, Dr. Coven." Damien and Fu greet.

I smile at then.

"Good morning, boys, will you please move Commander Dameron from my table?" I turn back to my work. "Oh, and don't move his left arm too much, his muscle could rip."

I hear a few grunts and swearing coming from Poe as I focus on my work. When they were finished I looked up.

"Would you like me to bring him to the recovery room?" Damien asks me.

I wave him off and smile.

"Don't worry about it," I say and stand up. "I'll bring him when I'm finished. Thank you for your help."

Fu says goodbye and walks out of my room while Damien steps towards me and leans against the table Poe was on a few minutes ago.

"So, Lyla, what are you doing on Friday?" Damien asks and I narrow my eyes at him using my first name.

"Damien, you do not use my first name in the workplace," I say and cross my arms. "I'm Dr. Coven and you will address me as such until you and I are equals."

Damien drops his head.

"I'm sorry, Doctor." He says, "I'll be around if you need me."

With that he leaves my room.

"You know I learn more about you from other people than I do by you." Poe breaks the silence.

I turn around to my counter and grab my muffin.

"I like your name though," he says. "Lyla is a pretty name."

I stride over towards Poe as he watches me.

"Keep your arm extended, this is going to hurt." I say and step on a peddle.

The front part of the bed starts moving Poe into a sitting position, he lets out a hiss as he tries to keep his arm as still as possible.

Once it was in the proper position I sat myself on my table so I was beside Poe and handed him my muffin.

"Eat slowly." I tell him. "You don't want to puke."

Poe takes the muffin and starts eating it, savouring every bite. In a minute the muffin is gone, I take the wrapper and hop off my table to throw it out.

Buzz. Buzz. Buzz.

I walk to the intercom and press the button.

"Dr. Coven," Damien's voice sounds through. "General Organa wants Commander Dameron in a private recovery room. Something about Morale."

"Thank you Damien." I say.

"So, what are you doing on Friday?" I hear him say and I cut off the connection.

"Damien is really into you." Poe speaks.

I turn to him.

"I'm not interested in him." I simply state and walk towards his bed.

"You don't talk much."

"Yep." I say and take off the brakes.

"Why not?"

"I'm working." I state and start pushing him.

"What about when you're not working." Poe turns his head up at me.

"Then I'm pretty fun." I push him into the hall.

Closing the door behind me I start heading to the private section of Recovery.

I end up at room 236 and open the door to push the bed in.

"I can take it from here." Poe says and I raise an eyebrow.

"I think I'll be fine on my own now." He says and smiles.

I shake my head and smile a bit.

"Believe me, you will not be." I say and move him in and push the bed to the wall.

"Lyla?" Poe asks.

"Dr. Coven." I say and lose my smile.

"Sorry." Poe tries again. "Stitches?"

I sigh.

"How long will I be here?" He asks.

"About a month," I say and take off my gloves. "Then physiotherapy, then you'll be allowed back with restrictions."

"Restrictions?"

I nod.

"No flying, you'll have to adjust slowly."

Poe's eyes widen.

"No flying!?" He almost shouts.

"Unless you want to damage your arm." I agree.

Poe sulks back.

"I'll check up on you, until then I'll inform your friends that they can see you." I turn to leave before I remember something else. "Do not move your arm if it's too much pain."