Chapter Twenty-five

The young couple arrived back around at the mansion at ten o'clock. Once they entered the building, they found a light left on in the sitting room. "Hello! I'm back from my date." Nancy called as they ventured deeper into the home.

Immediately, her great-aunt appeared at the door with her knitting still at hand. The woman must have stayed up late waiting for them to return. "Oh, Nancy! I'm so glad that you are all right! Your friends came home hours ago. Bess said you had taken off in the middle of the movie without them and I was so worried." the aunt said softly.

"We were alright, unfortunately, we did run into some trouble while sightseeing," Nancy told her aunt vaguely what had happened in the woods and why they had taken off from the drive in. Nancy had decided early on not to say anything else that had happened in her aunt's mansion because it might alarm her greatly. Nancy asked Ned to go wait out in the hall before continuing on with the conversation.

"In light of what happened yesterday, Ned might be allowed to stay here for a few days to watch out for us. That is if he is allowed. Ned concerned for our safety and is never any trouble. So, can he stay here?" The young girl asked while studying her aunt's reaction.

In response, Aunt Betty looked Nancy over, as if she was in deep thought for a moment, then sighed deeply. "I'm not quite sure what your father will think of this Nancy." the women said while getting up from the high- backed chair. "I do think that you would benefit from having a male companion around to keep you safe, however, it would not be proper to have him sleeping so close by you young girls."

The old women sat down Next to Nancy and looked deeply into her eyes. "He can stay in the other wing near my own room." Suddenly she took Nancy's hand before adding, "You are fine girls and I am proud of you all! I highly doubt anything scary will happen but you all lock your rooms at night. I will have no boys in your bedrooms. I do not want any angry parents giving me trouble, later."

Both of them made their way back up towards the front door, where Ned sat waiting. Nancy went over and told him the details and where he would be sleeping. "Come now you two, it is late and we all need our rest." Aunt Betty said as she motioned towards the stair case. "I will show Ned to his room. However, I'm afraid he will have to sleep in what he is wearing for tonight. Because I donated all of my late husband's clothing to the Salvation Army shortly after his death." She explained as the group ascended the stairs.

Once they reached the top stairs, they split up and Nancy headed toward her own room. As she passed her friend's door, Nancy could see the light was off. "They must be asleep already. I will just have to wait till tomorrow to fill them in on all that has happened." Nancy thought to herself.

Nancy was very worn out from all that had happened that day. So, she quickly changed into some pajamas, brushed her teeth, and climbed onto the bed. There she felt as if she was floating on a soft cloud. She laid there for quite a while but couldn't sleep. Thoughts of the case keep popping up and would not cease. It seemed as if her mind was racing but her body was exhausted. It felt like hours later when she finally started to drift off to sleep.

Just then she heard what sounded like footsteps coming from outside her room. Nancy slowly got up and tiptoed up to her bedroom door. Despite putting her ear to the door she could not hear anything at all. So, the young girl unlocked the door and cracked it just in time to see a person turn down the hall. "Who could that be at this time of night?" Nancy questioned when she began to follow the strange form.

Bonus Files:

Like this story, reader? If you do, please like and comment. This will help the "Mystery of the Ghost Maiden" become the top Nancy Drew story on Wattpad. Any fan feedback is welcome.