Chapter Four - Home

"Canada?!"

I sat in the car seat with my jaw gaping open.

"I didn't pack warm enough for this," I groaned.

"I won't let you freeze," Adam said plainly.

I shook my head.

"I thought we would be going somewhere like London," I said.

"London?" He asked incredulously. "Why on earth would you have thought London?"

I just looked at him.

"I was raised by English parents, however I have only been to London three times in my entire life," he said. "The smell of that place would put anyone out for hours, Evelyn."

"You don't have to call me Evelyn," I said. "I prefer Evie or Eve."

Adam nodded. "Well, Evie or Eve, we have another few hours in this vehicle if you feel like sharing anything else I might need to know."

I shrugged. "What do you want to know?"

"Well," he said thinking. "What do I need to know?"

"My birthday is February 22nd and my middle name is Michelle," I answered. "You?"

"My birthday is May 6th and my favorite color is black," he answered.

"Black?"

"It goes with everything," he explained defensively.

I shook my head. "What is your favorite movie?"

"I don't watch any," he said.

"Weird," I commented. "Favorite book, then?"

"The Art of War by Sun Tzu," he said.

I just stared at him.

"What?" He asked.

"I liked you better before I knew all this about you," I said.

"Well then," he said. "Please enlighten me: what is your favorite film and book?"

"Favorite film is Gone with The Wind, favorite book is Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy."

He grimaced.

"I half-expected the gushy romance part, but not the lack of happy endings," Adam said.

"'Lack of happy endings?!'" I asked. "Says the man whose favorite book is The Art of War..."

"I see your point."

I leaned forward and pulled out the bag of breakfast that Mrs. Chandler had sent us.

"Hungry?" I asked.

"Starving," He replied.

I opened the bag and pulled out a few pieces of bacon and handed them to Adam

"So..." I said, eating my own bacon, "Why don't you watch movies?"

"There are much more important things to do when you lead a pack of nearly twenty thousand," he said.

"But don't you have leaders and councils who deal with your pack for you?" I asked.

"I have advisors and a cabinet who help me, but no, I do most of it myself."

"So it's like a dictatorship?" I asked.

Adam looked at me. "Is that what you think of Alphas as? Dictators?"

I shrugged. "I think the whole Alpha-Beta thing is a bit far-fetched. I mean, I thought Lycans got past that primitive mindset ages ago."

I saw his jaw tense. "It's the most effective means of pack safety and harmony ever used. The rules I enforce and lifestyle I promote are for the good of the pack, I don't see how that is primitive."