Chapter 8

Classes sped by and before she knew it, the holidays were here. While strolling through Diagon Alley for school supplies, Hermione had a thought. Tom Riddle was graduating this year which means that within the next year he would be working in Borgin and Burkes trying to track down artifacts for his Horcruxes. If she could somehow prevent him from getting his job there then maybe she could stop him, or stall him at the very least. At this point he only had his ring and diary. Quickly forming a plan in her head, Hermione reluctantly made her way to Borgin and Burkes in Knockturn Alley. The only way to completely stall him was to get a job there herself, as much as she would resent it.

Entering Borgin and Burkes, Hermione spotted two bearded middle-aged men working behind the dusty store counter who she could only assume was Borgin and Burke themselves, seeing as no one else was in the shop. Hermione shuddered at the thought of working here after looking at several dark looking items.

"Welcome to Borgin and Burkes. I am Caractacus Burke. What might a young, fine lady like you be doing here?"

"I would like to work here." Hermione responded, trying not to give him a disgusted look.

Burke scoffed, while scanning the school items in her bags. "What would a student like you want with a business here? Surely you're not after money. We don't pay much. You don't plan to expose us do you?"

"I have no ill-intentions. I would simply like a head-start in working before graduating. There's no place else who would take me. And all of these artifacts seem so fascinating." Hermione lied while giving Burke a fake smile.

"Huh. Name?" Burke asked boredly.

"Elora Black."

Burke's eyes narrowed. "I don't recall there being another Black. And believe me, I've dealt with the Blacks a lot in here."

"I came from France. My father was Phineas Black. He was disowned."

Burke's eyes widened in shock. "Forgive me Miss Black. I did not mean to offend you." Hermione waved her hand in dismissal. "Sir, I hope you do not mind me asking, but how many people will you employ at a time?" Hermione enquired.

"I'd say around two at most." Burke answered. That was one too many people. She certainly did not want Riddle joining her in this job. Hermione glanced over her shoulder to see if Borgin was around the counter anymore. He was not. In a swift movement, Hermione whipped out her wand from her pocket. "Imperio!" Hermione whispered, winicing a little bit after using an Unforgivable. "You will employ me, and no one else. Especially not Tom Riddle. You musn't let Borgin employ anyone else either." Hermione ordered. "Now you will not remember me casting this, and you will go to the back of the store and stay there until I ask for you." Burke nodded numbly and strolled off to the back of the store. She needed to corner Borgin and imperio him too. She didn't trust Tom to not imperio Borgin into employing him if Burke didn't. Walking over to the store counter, Hermione called out for Borgin, who stomped over to her with an annoyed glare. Hermione imperiused him and ordered for him to do the same thing.

"Mr. Burke?" Hermione requested. Promptly, Burke returned. "You will continue as if nothing happened." Burke nodded again and went back to the store counter to count the money. "When will I start work?" Hermione asked.

"Next week until school starts." Came the dull answer. Hermione gave a satisfied nod and strolled out of the shop. 

~

~

~

Disclaimer: I don't own the Harry Potter franchise.

I'm back again after a week! Thank you for the votes and over 100 reads. I'm sorry there isn't much Tomione yet, but eventually there will be. The next chapter may be up tomorrow.

Thanks for reading! Constructive criticism is also welcome!