✙ Chapter 38 ✙

I jerked forward, gasping for air.

At first, everything swarmed in waves around me, creating an uneasy feeling in my stomach. The sound of my hammering heart and the soft sound of blood traveling through my veins filled my ears. Wherever I was, it was dark; the only source of light came from a lamp beside me on the nightstand. Lamp? I thought, suddenly confused. Trembling, I glanced around, realizing I was in an unfamiliar bedroom, seated on an uncomfortable bed. The few windows were hammered shut with pieces of wood, preventing any sunlight from seeping into the room. Panic overwhelmed me and I moved to scoot off the bed, but I was stopped by something jerking my wrist. I whipped my head around, surprised to find my left wrist handcuffed to the bed.

I released a small cry and desperately, yanked - this only caused a sharp pain in my wrist. Suddenly, the door across from me opened, revealing a familiar face. Hesitantly, he walked into the room, his footsteps loud. I flinched at the sound of his fancy shoes against the wooden floor while pressing myself against the headboard. He closed the door behind him, brushing his dark hair away from his emerald eyes. I watched as Caine slowly approached me, holding his arms out in a way for my mind to process that he didn't mean any harm.

When he reached the end of the bed, I found myself breathing, heavily. "How am I here? I d-died!" My heart started speeding up until it became slightly painful. "There's something wrong with me - I c-can't breathe. Oh my God, I'm going to have a heart attack." I placed a hand on my chest, before realizing there wasn't any pain in my body. Confused, I looked down at my stomach, noticing the wounds were completely healed; there weren't even any scars. "Where are my wounds? I'm h-healed - what the f*ck is wrong with me!?"

"Deep breaths, Nora," he responded, calmly. "Just focus on your breathing." Hesitantly, he took a seat at the end of the bed, near my feet. Quickly, I pulled my legs to my body, wrapping my arm around my knees, shakily.

I glanced towards the handcuff on my wrist. "Why the hell am I handcuffed!? You're crazy! Who do you think you are!? Let me go!" Once again, I tried yanking my wrist free, but I failed. As he pinched his lips together, I attempted to twist my wrist out of the handcuff, which didn't work either. "Did you hear me!? Let me out of here!"

He reached towards me, sympathetically. "Nora, you're - "

"Don't touch me!" I shouted, panicking. "Where am I? I'm s-supposed to be dead - I was ready! What the f*ck did you do!?" Before I knew what was happening, I felt hot tears rolling down my cheeks as my chest became heavy. Then, the war slapped me in the face; instantly, my eyes widened and concern overwhelmed me. "Where's Drew? I need to see him!"

"You can't see him, Nora," he said, shaking his head. "Please, listen to what I have to say." Despite the several emotions flowing through me, I sucked in a deep breath and looked at him. "You were supposed to die in that meadow - I mean, your heart completely stopped. You died, but you didn't stay dead; once again, you cheated death . . . everybody was grieving; they had brought your body back to the Pack House and sometime today, you were supposed to be buried. But, when I went to visit you for the last time, I heard it - the pattering of your heart. It was faint, but it was there."

I gritted my teeth together. "Where am I?" I yanked at the handcuffs once again, not surprised that it didn't break. "Let me out of here - or I'll kill you!"

"Those handcuffs are made of the strongest metal; you aren't going anywhere," he responded, quietly. He licked his bottom lip and leaned closer to me, his emerald eyes gleaming from the dim lighting of the lamp. "You need to listen to me, Nora. When I heard your heartbeat, it suddenly occurred to me; for your safety and everyone else's, I brought you here. Are you listening to me? I didn't bring you back to life with my magic, Nora."

Everything was so overwhelming; I just wanted to see Drew. "You're insane! I-I just want to see Drew! Let me go!"

"Look at me, Nora," he commanded, using his stupid magic trick on me. Against my will, I was forced to look at him with tears streaming down my cheeks. I hated that he was able to command me around; I didn't have control of myself when he used his magic. "During the war, you murdered your father - you spilled your own blood. Then, you were bitten by Killian on the arm, remember?" The image of Killain chomping down on my arm when I was trying to protect my face appeared before me. Gulping loudly, I glanced down at my arm, noticing the bite wound was gone. "Even though, the process was switched around, it still affected you. You're completely healed because the chemicals in your system kicked in. . ."

I frowned. "Wait, are you trying - I'm a w-werewolf?"

Slowly, he nodded. "Yes, you are."

"I need Drew," I blurted, feeling the walls caving towards me. "Where is he?" Angry at the situation, I lunged towards Caine, helplessly wanting him to release me. My nails managed to scratch his arm and he frowned, watching as the scratch marks healed within seconds. He opened his mouth to speak, but I stopped him by shouting, "Take me to him!"

"I took you away from the Pack House for a reason, Nora," he replied, calmly. Next thing I knew, he was rising from the bed, walking towards the nightstand near me. He grabbed the small mirror laying down on the cold surface and extended it towards me. I glared at him for a long moment, before snatching the mirror from his hand. What the f*ck is he talking about? I held the mirror up, looking at my pale reflection. But, it wasn't the paleness of my skin that attracted my attention nor was it the dried blood on my cheeks. It was the red eyes that stared back at me. I lost my breath, praying this was some messed-up dream. But, it wasn't - and I was angry. This wasn't supposed to happen; this couldn't happen! "I'm sorry, Nora. It's already starting, but soon, you'll be overwhelmed with the urge to kill. If you stayed there, you would've harmed someone."

My chest was heavy as I gritted my teeth together, narrowing my eyes. Then, releasing a cry, I threw the mirror across the room, missing Caine by inches. I watched as the mirror crashed against the farthest wall, shattering to pieces. Taking deep breaths, I turned my attention back at Caine who was looking at me, uncertainty in his eyes.

Then, I screamed at the top of my lungs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The end.

If you want more, check out the semi-sequel: To Be Claimed.