The Striding Spire: 1

Let's just say that my first date with Baron Alban did not go quite as I was hoping.

Expectations: me in a very good dress. High heels, great up-do, a bit of lipstick (or perhaps a lot). The Baron looking gorgeous as always in one of his many fine suits, escorting me upon one muscular arm to somewhere lovely. Somewhere with music, perhaps, and good cake.

Reality: Somewhat different.

It began with a phone call.

'Morning, Ves,' came the Baron's deep voice when I picked up. 'Do I disturb?'

'Not at all!' said I brightly, and not altogether truthfully. It was, I had blearily noted as I scooped up my phone, all of half past six in the morning; it was Sunday, and I'd had no intention of getting up for at least three hours yet. I was in bed with my duvet around my chin, and the UniPup, all yellow fur and tiny puppy snores, was asleep on my neck. 'What can I do for you?' It wasn't so easy to speak with a weight on my throat. I hoped she would grow out of that habit by the time she grew much bigger.

'We've been talking about going out sometime for a while, and I was wondering — are you busy today?'

'Today?'

'Yes.'

I thought furiously, but only for about two and a half seconds. 'No!' I said with emphasis. I might have been smiling like an idiot, but that I cannot confirm.

'Great!' He sounded happy, too, which I will not deny was good for my ego. 'I'll pick you up in half an hour.'

'Half an hour?!'

'Is... that okay?'

I've been on a few dates in my time, and I will be self-aggrandising enough to own that some of those gentlemen were flatteringly eager. But this was something else. 7am on a Sunday morning? Nobody was that eager for my company. 'It's fine,' I said, scooping the puppy off my neck. I laid her gently on the pillow next to me — she didn't wake — and stumbled out of bed. 'As long as there is going to be breakfast involved, and soon.'

'That can be arranged. See you soon, Ves.' And he hung up.

Odd.

But with only twenty-eight minutes of the promised half hour left, I had no time to puzzle over it. What did a Cordelia Vesper wear on a shockingly early-morning breakfast date with the handsomest troll alive? This Cordelia Vesper had no idea, and she'd have to figure it out pretty fast.

I made it down to the hall with exactly thirty-seven seconds to spare. With May dawning dewily outside, the day promised to be warm and fine, so I had chosen one of my favourite dresses — a knee-length confection of red viscose, printed with roses — and thrown a light cardigan over it. My trusty hair-fixing Curiosity had done fine work for me again, turning my long, loose curls to a deep red almost the same hue as my dress.

There the elegance ended, for it had quickly occurred to me that I couldn't leave the puppy alone. I'd thought briefly of taking her back to Miranda, Boss of Beasts, for the morning's activities, and collecting her again when I got back. But I abandoned that idea almost as quickly as it came up, because the puppy was unlikely to consent. It did not matter what Miranda did to keep the puppy under her eye; she would always escape, by means largely unknown, and find her way back to me. If I left her with Miranda, she'd escape again and come looking — but she would find no trace of me. Would she be upset? I could not take that risk, for she had been starving to death when I'd found her and that was only a few days ago. She was frail, and in need of constant care. I wasn't leaving her behind.

The fact that I had entirely lost my heart to the little beast was neither here nor there, of course. But who could help it? She was completely adorable. She had the kind of silky fur that begged to be touched, and it was bright gold. Perky little ears, enormous nose, tiny unicorn horn — what's not to love about all that? She was affectionate, too, and she made me feel needed.