Pick up the Phone

The oatmeal had helped a bit, even though you had initially scalded your tongue on it.  Hoshi had helped you over to the plush couch afterwards, where you now sat, waiting to call Kal and Midori. 

I can't believe that in a few hours I'll be able to see them again...It feels like I haven't seen Midori and Kal for ages.

If you could, you would weep for joy, but having had an exhausting couple of days, crying would only tire you out even more.

Hoshi walked over, cellphone in hand, "Here, you can just enter the number and we'll give you some privacy," he said, grabbing Rei's wrist and tugging him out of the room.

Rei protested profusely however.

"I wanna be in there too, Mr. Kitty needs me!"

"Hmm...oh really?" Hoshi said, doubt tinging his voice.

"Yeah!  For...for-...emotional support!  He's in dire need of a rock!!!"

"And that's why he's calling his partners," Hoshi responded smoothly.  Rei sighed and let himself be led into the hall. 

Giggling as they leave, you glance down at the phone resting in your lap.  The screen reflects your haggard face, red scratches posing as a strong contrast to your soft skin.  You felt in need of a long, hot shower.

There will be time for that later...I need to hear their voices, make sure they're okay.

Hesitantly, your fingers fumble over the numbers and before you can stop to consider you press dial.  Pressing the cold screen up to your ear, you hear the purring noise of the ringer, then a click.

"Hello," answers Kal's voice, sending tingles down your spine.

It's actually him...I can't believe I'm not dreaming.

You feel wetness on your cheeks, no longer caring about trying not to cry, "K-....Kal..." you murmur in a hushed voice.  You press the phone closer to your ear, in an effort to feel closer to him, even by just a small distance.

A loud gasp is heard from the other line and you hear some shuffling and Midori asking Kal to give him the phone.

"Where are you?  Are you hurt?  I-...I'm so sorry for what I said in the vet's office, I didn't mean to ignore what you were trying to say.  I was just being a jealous idiot, the doctor explained what had happened to me later. God, I feel like such an doofus for doubting you...," you hear Midori's remorseful tone and feel even more tears threatening to spill over.  "I never meant to place so little trust in you, I don't know what I was thinking....I love you and Kal and wouldn't want to ruin what we have..."

Before answering any of his questions, you say softly, "I miss you..."

"I miss you more, (y/n)," Midori replies, "Kal too.  We need you, without you...it's so...so lonely."

I understand that feeling completely, the fear that I felt while I was apart from you both was unbearable.  The feeling was akin to having my very heart ripped from my chest.

Your lips twinge up into a tired smile, "I'll be home soon, just stay at the apartment, okay?  I'll tell you what's happened while I've been gone, when I get there."

"Are you sure you don't need us to pick you up?  You never told me where you are.  We can come and get you.". In the background, you hear Kal agreeing.

You laugh at their antics, "Don't worry, I have a ride.  I love you both...  I can't wait to see you.  Bye...."

Your thumb hovers over the button that will end your call, you stamp the pad of your thumb to the slick screen and the call concludes with a beep.