Chapter 2.

The next few weeks passed quickly. Nothing much happened which you would call interesting. Everything that I had decided to do last week now seemed like a shattered dream.

I became very busy in the hat shop. Sometimes, I overslept and made Lettie very angry. I couldn't go out as Lettie was keeping a sharp eye on me. She knew I had intentioned to visit mom and dad and was making sure I didn't.

She made up excuses to stop me leaving the shop. This made me mad at her. I could've jumped out of the window and ran away but the window was very high from the ground and someone would see me. So I was kind of stuck.

The only thing that happened all that time was the increase in military aircrafts. They came often and with every day that passed, I noticed bombs with the aircrafts. The customers in the shop talked tensely to each other and whenever I entered, they would just stop talking and go back to their shopping. Some of them even whispered quietly to each other in my presence. My life was becoming uncomfortable. Even the dream had stopped coming and the only thing left to amuse me were my books.

Then one day, Lew stopped by. He was one of my best friends and a really cool dude. He had blonde hair and a strong built body. He marched inside the shop his grey eyes glancing around quickly.

I was a talking to a customer when he spotted me. The next thing I know was being pulled into a tight hug that suffocated me. "How are you, (Y/N)?" he cried pulling me into a tighter hug.

"Can't-breathe-" I managed to choke out. He pulled away immediately and looked guilty. He came over his guilt in half a second and patted my head.

"Now to answer your question" I said snapping his hand back "I am dying here."

"Ah I should've known," he said in his boyish tone.

Lew was a really nice and handsome guy. Everyone loved him and he had earned quite a lot of admirers. One thing I like about him was that he always stood up for me. We had been together since we were kids and he always protected me and made sure I was treated fairly and justly. I was very glad to finally see him.

Lettie appeared out of nowhere and said to Lew, "good to see you. Thanks for coming over." Lew raced his fingers through his hair. "No prob" he replied in such a way that it seemed to me he was saying 'you called me to this hat shop suddenly and I had to walk all the way to this forbidden place and here you are thanking me for coming. I wanna slap you.'

Lettie turned to the last customer left in the shop and said, "we are closing early today, ma'am."

The woman looked surprised and so did I. It was not even afternoon and Lettie was closing the shop hours ago. In my record, since the last two decade, Lettie had never closed any shop before the due time.

 Lettie closed the door shut and turned the sign saying open to closed. Then she turned to Lew and ordered, "follow me!" Lettie marched upstairs with Lew following her. But before Lew disappeared, he passed me a strange grin.

I became curious about what was going on. First I decided to go upstairs and amuse myself in a book. But I couldn't do it. I wanted to see what were they talking about. Lettie had clearly ignored me and it was so unlike her. I wanted to know what they were talking about so I tried listening at the door but it was useless. Finally I got an idea.
My room was next to Lettie's. Our windows were very close to each other and I knew Lettie's window was always open. I climbed up on the windowsill and careful balanced myself. Not daring to look down in the fear of falling, I tried listening to the two. I was able to hear Lew and Lettie talking.

"I don't know, Lettie" Lew was saying "perhaps we should tell her."

Tell me what? I wondered .