FIFTEEN

Clint's POV...

The Avengers, Wanda, Pietro, Loki and I sit around one of the long glass conference tables, waiting for Director Fury. Nat keeps talking to me as I drum my fingers on the table. Loki is leaning on the back wall, but I make sure to keep him within my vision. Everyone else may trust him, but I still don't. I haven't forgotten what he has done. He took my daughter from me, and now he suddenly wants to help us find her. I don't buy it, and neither does Natasha. Nat is less trusting than the others. She has been keeping tabs on him as well.

The glass doors slide open, and in walks Nick Fury.
"Any news?" I question straight away, sitting up straighter in my chair.
Fury shakes his head.
"I'm afraid not, Agent Barton. The last traces of Loki's magic were found at the base Loki took her." He slams his hands on the table in anger. "If anyone has any suggestions of what we should do next, hit me cause I am all out of options."
My heart sinks at Fury's words. Tony stands up and clenches his fist.
"What are you doing, Stark?" Fury asks.
"I have an idea, so I was going to hit you."
The look Fury gives Tony forces the billionaire to back down.
"Bruce and I still have some data on the Sceptre from Hydra and from when we ran it ourselves. We think that we might be able to track where it was used as long as it is still on Earth." Tony explains as he pulls up a screen and enters the database.
"We need Loki's help, though." Bruce mumbles. "He knows the Sceptre better than anyone."
"If it speeds up the process of finding Mellona, then I accept." Loki states from the back of the room.
"And if it isn't on Earth? What then?" I question.
Tony and Bruce both have vacant looks, but Loki quickly speaks up.
"If I am taught how to use you Midgardian technology, then I am sure that I will be able to find some trace of the Sceptre. I know most of the hidden planets and bases in the galaxy. If it has been used recently, it should be easier to find."

Everyone agrees that this seems like a good enough plan. Fury excuses Tony, Bruce, and Loki from the meeting so they can get straight on with their hunt for the Sceptre. I just hope that it isn't too late.

"What about the rest of us?" Steve asks. "I think we should place S.H.I.E.L.D agents at Clint's house. If Mel manages to escape on her own, then she will go home. Laura needs the support if anything bad happens."
Fury nods and lets Steve go and do his thing.
"Agents Barton and Romanoff, I want you two to stay here and rest, but be ready in case we call you in. Brainstorm some ideas about places where Mellona might go." He turns to Wanda and Pietro. "Maximoff's, I need you to access our database on Hydra and other active threats. We have to presume that Thanos is building an army." He sighs. "We need to prepare for war."
With that, he leaves the room.

Nat and I stand up and head to the living area of the Avenger's tower. The red-haired assassin grabs her laptop and starts to brainstorm ideas, but I just sink further into the couch and stare at the wall. I have never felt so alone, so lost ... so incapable of doing even the most minor tasks. And this is only the beginning, the beginning of the pain, the suffering and the endless conga line of emotions that are in store for me.

"Clint." Natasha breaks me out of my trance. "We are gonna find her, ok."

"Dada!" a small shrill voice calls from the playroom.
"Yes, my little songbird?" I smile, walking into the bright room.
Mellona is sitting in the middle of the floor, surrounded by her stuffed animals and dolls. Her blue fairy outfit glitters as the sun shines on her through the window.
"Would you like a cup of fairy glitter tea?" She asks timidly, holding out a purple plastic teacup filled with rainbow glitter.
"Of course." I grin, taking a seat next to an elephant and a mermaid.
Mel smiles widely and passes me a pair of fairy wings.
"You need to wear them, otherwise you can't sit with us."
Reluctantly, I take the wings and slip them on. I should not have let her and Nat watch Mean Girls. She watches with wide eyes as I fake a sip of the drink.
"Yum, this is great!" I laugh.
"You didn't drink it!" She huffs, folding her arms and scowling.
I really shouldn't let her and Nat hang out so much. Taking a deep breath, I drink the glitter and watch as my little girl giggles. She stands up and catapults herself into my arms.
"I love you so much, Dada!"
"I love you too, my little songbird."