Chapter Thirty-Four

Korra's POV

In all the years that I came to know Asami, every moment was lively. There was always something to do, something to talk about, laugh about and smile about. Tonight was different though. It was silent.

It was so quiet that I could hear the faint ticking of the grandfather clock at the far end of the hall. I could hear the excitement downstairs, the guests cheering and dancing to the grand classical music. I could even hear the cooing of an owl sitting on top of one of the many branches of the oak tree just outside her window.

I took a quick glance at Asami. She had her head lowered, staring at her well-manicured nails that were painted cherry red to match her dress. She looked beautiful in that dress. The way it hugged her toned figure, the way it swayed with her as she waltzed around the grand hall. It was truly mesmerizing.

I cleared my throat awkwardly. I was the one who told her to stay. I should at least say something.

"Your room's more spacious," I stated my observation. It wasn't an exaggeration. It was emptier than the last time I saw it. The shelves were cleared out. Her collection of several teddy bears, the glassware, the posters on her wall were nowhere to be found. The only things that were left in place were the framed pictures she had of us together. It ranged from when we were younger to now. But it was only the most important moments, like the first time we went to a theme park, or our first day of middle school, sports festival and so on. All of which, we were together.

She cleared her throat this time.

"I'm trying something new," She replied. She tried to seem nonchalant about it, but I could tell there was something she wasn't telling me. I wanted to know. But I couldn't ask her.

"Korra?" She asked, her head still lowered.

"Yeah?"

She hesitated.

"It doesn't matter." She shrugged.

"It clearly does, or else you wouldn't be nervous about it." I grabbed her hand in mine.

"Tell me, what is it?"

" I probably shouldn't." She stood up abruptly. "I should let you get some rest."

She was about to leave when I grabbed her arm. She flinched at my touch, her body temperature high as if she had a fever.

"Are you okay? Do you feel sick?" I cupped her face and felt her forehead. She was burning up. I tried to look at her in the eyes but she desperately avoided mine.

"Have you ever liked someone so much it hurts?" She asked suddenly. She was looking at me with so much pain and confusion.

"What are you-" She grabbed me by the back of my neck and kissed me. Her cherry-flavoured lips crashed into mine, slowly exploring every inch of my lips. She stopped and looked at me, her eyes twinkling with desire.

I could've left.

But I didn't.

Instead, I grabbed her by her hips and kissed her back. I smacked my lips with hers, memorizing every inch of her plump lips, exploring every inch of it. She wrapped her arms around my neck and opened her mouth slightly and our tongues waltzed in harmony.

From that moment, I finally accepted something that I should've done a long time ago. As I tasted the sweet flavour of my best friend's lips, as I wrapped my arms around her hips and as my body temperature skyrocketed under her touch, I couldn't help but smile. She stopped and gazed at me, her pupils dilated and glistening.

"Korra, I love you." She confessed.

When I heard those words, everything fell into place like a completed puzzle.