Third Prince, The Tease

"What does the third prince normally do at this time of day?" I asked curiously, cautiously.

She grinned. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

"I'm serious!" I hissed.

She shrugged and yanked the bedsheets off the bed, forcing me out. "I don't know, I'm not his keeper. Why do you want to know, anyway?" It was her turn to give me a curious glance. "I thought you were trying to avoid the third prince?"

"Oh, it's not what you think. I'm not trying to run into him. I'm trying to avoid him and the hysteria of women."

"If you want to go to the garden, just say so. You've been coup up in this room for a week, you're starting to get fat."

"I want to go," I said without a thought.

She shot me a glare that told me everything. "You got yourself so deep in the water, you're going to drown yourself."

"What?"

She loosened a breath, silent for a little while. Bailing finished making the bed, before strolling to the closet. I teetered behind her out of habit. She picked up a brand new hanfu I haven't worn yet. It was a combination of green and white fabric, she pressed it on me, testing the fit with her eyes. "Green looks good on you. It brings out the brown in your eyes."

Bailing handed me the dress.

"Go get dressed, Jasmine. I'm taking you to the garden."

*****

It was unusually calm in the garden this morning, it teetered between morning and noon. The sun was up and most concubines had retreated back to the courtyard having seen the third prince paraded himself already. Probably.

I took to the bench tucked away from the corner enjoying the rareness of this tranquility when I felt a tingling sensation on the back of my neck. My first instinct was to scream. We are in a garden and I'm pretty sure this place is a breeding ground for all kinds of insects, especially spiders.

I was instantly horrified, shivering at the thought of a spider crawling on my neck, having slapped it with my hand again and again and again until I heard a groan of pain that made me snap my head back.

"Ouch!"

My eyes widening to the man who loomed over my head, staring down at me. As big as he was, I hardly noticed him crept up behind the bench. He leaned casually, blocking the sun from hitting my face.

"Third prince Julong!" I stammered, yanking myself up to my feet. "I didn't mean to slap your hand like that."

He smiled flashing me his big hand, "didn't hurt at all actually."

"You shouldn't touch a woman like that." I can't help but comment.

"...and you shouldn't be slapping a prince's hand like that." He retorted. "In some culture, that very act is punishable by death."

I swallowed and inclined my head low to a bow. "I thought you were a spider."

"Oh, Jasmine. A spider wouldn't hurt you unless you threaten them. Why risk its fury by slapping it senseless?"

"Why crawl on me?"

He smiled and came around the bench taking the empty space beside me. The prince glittered with sweat underneath the plated training armor casing him. He sat there, silent and solemn for a few seconds, admiring the blooming flowers around us. But as beautiful as the flowers surrounding us, my attention was with him, watching him in silence, admiring the natural curve of his muscles, the tone of his sun-kissed skin, memorizing every detail of him.

"Beautiful isn't it?"

I stiffened, stammering for something to say.

"The garden." He continued, and I breathe relieved, having dodged confessing my admiration for him.

He loosened a laughter, and I imagined the prince baited me, made me look at him. He knew what he had to offer, and he knew I would be drawn to those rippling muscles, his dark skin, his immaculate built.

My cheeks grew hot. I am now aware of him, aware of his exposed skin, his closeness to me, his gleaming smile, his romantic eyes that I could hardly breathe, confused beyond myself.

I turned scarlet.

His laughter only got louder, and his confidence shimmered. The prince knew he got me where he wanted me and that's wrapped around his finger.