Chapter Nine: Invisible

“You shouldn’t have told her.”

            “I know. But she deserves to know.”

            “What would happen if Garret will find out? You know how he is when somebody speaks about that—that bitch.”

            “What he doesn’t know won’t hurt him.”

            “Are you possibly thinking that you are going to hide it from him that you told Melanie? He would know sooner or later.”

            Xayranne rolled her eyes at her fiancé. “Then so be it. I know he wouldn’t hurt Melanie or me. And if he hurts me, he doesn’t know what’s coming to him.”

            Flynn frowned at her disapprovingly. “Xayranne, I just wanted you to be safe… and honest. Why did you tell Melanie about that?”

            “Because she deserves to know. You perfectly know that—.”

            “Yes, I do. But you don’t need to explain it to her. I know someday Garret would explain it to her.”

            With that, I snorted loudly, earning glares from the vampire couple sitting across me. “He wouldn’t tell me. I mean, who am I to know something about that? Garret doesn’t like me enough to trust me with that information.”

            Flynn’s eyes twinkled. “Well—.”

            His fiancé nudged his ribs, making him groan in pain. “Shut up, Flynn.” Then she looked at me, smiling warmly. “Just don’t tell Garret that you knew, okay? I’m sure he’ll tell you when the time is right.”

            I shrugged, not sure what to say. Would Garret tell me? I don’t think so. I mean, I’m just a human living with them for a week. And that’s that… Right?

            It was already four in the afternoon and the three of us were watching The Fourth Kind. It was supposed to be scary—it’s about aliens and those stuff—but the truth? It doesn’t scare me. Usually, I get scared shitless in these kinds of movies but hey, I live with vampires for the meantime now. Aliens wouldn’t abduct me.

            Any minute now, Garret and Roxanne would arrive from school. Yes, I know what you’re thinking. That Chicago from Springfield is like an hour or two drive? Well, vampires drive in a faster pace than humans so it’s like a forty-five minutes drive instead of an hour or two. Damn, how fast is that? And they use Garret’s motorbike.

            The local vampire doctors arrived earlier at noon. They were warm and polite. I was picturing them as doctors with black cloaks and that kind of stuff. But they were just wearing normal human clothes, nothing unusual. They took some of my blood and then told us that they’re going to be back maybe at Thursday or Friday.

            A beep from outside the house snapped me back to reality. Flynn took a deep breath and looked at Xayranne and me sternly. “You better shut up, okay? You—.”

            Xayranne waved him off. “Yeah, yeah we know. And it’s not like it’s the first time Melanie keeps a secret. Right, Melanie?”

            I gulped, nodding nervously and faking a smile. “Yeah sure.” Not to mention that I can’t keep a secret and always spill the beans.

            “Good,” Xayranne said, nodding her approval at me before smiling smugly at Flynn. “So we’re all good now, okay? And you need to stop overreacting, Flynn. We’ve got nothing to loose.”