Chapter 2: It must be meant

We ended up eating in the Riverwalk which was an outlet mall next to our hotel. There was plenty of restaurants in the food court in which to choose so we were all happy. We didn't want to go too far to eat because there was an outdoor concert with Sza later tonight.  When we got back to our room to get ready for the concert, I made sure I put my ear to the door to make sure Carrie didn't throw up. She definitely splurged on strawberry daiquiri, shrimp poboy and fries.  She usually is a vegan so this whole new eating style was different for me and Zena.  I was happy to report to Zena that my cousin was just talking and didn't regurgitate all that good food.

Since we were going to an outdoor concert, I wore fitted pale pink capris and a cold shoulder pale sequin blue top. I had bought silver sparkly flat sandals at the Riverwalk. I realized I needed to step up my shoe game but still be comfortable.  Carrie wore dark short shorts with flowy blouse to display her killer legs that she earned through her daily two mile runs. Zena turned it up with a white strapless dress and gold gladiator sandals. We did look pretty hot as a trio. I had lost twenty pounds for this vacation and was determined to keep it off which is why I chose to have a kids meal at the food court so I could still have the fries. I tended to run on the thick side unlike my cousin and best friend, so had to always watch it.

"You look really good, Jas. When I saw you in the lobby today, I almost cried. You looked like you did in high school." Zena complimented when I finished putting on my lipstick.

"What? No, I need to change tops, bottoms, add a chain, wear a dress, put more eyeliner on..." I didn't want to cry and mess up my makeup so I refused to acknowledge how she felt when she first saw me. She had been my best friend since we were in the seventh grade and it hurt my heart when she moved away two years ago for a fiancé that ended up with someone else. Zena was heart broken but had fell in love with L.A. and decided to make a life as a speech therapist out there.

"Actually, you do need more mascara. You have the best eyelashes but don't flaunt them." Carrie said as she fished in her Tory Burch purse for her Mac to give me. Carrie was my cousin who was only a year older than me but swore she was ten years older. She and her husband owned a real estate business and were doing well in New York.  Zena and Carrie would have their differences but was always united when it came to their love for me.

"I knew it. Y'all never satisfied." I complained jokingly as I put on more mascara.  I really didn't mind their attention. I was more of the earthy type. I wore my hair natural and right now it was flat twisted in front and wild curls in back. I had a lot of hair mainly because I kept chemicals out of it. They had tried for years to get me to convert back to the 'creamy crack', but I was not having it. I would wear a blow out or a weave on occasion to change up my look. I wasn't the most fashion savvy and because I was a paralegal and about to start my third year of law school, I didn't have time to devote to my looks. So whatever fashion advice my friend and cuz gave, I usually heeded, especially since they were the reason I ran into Montana Keyes.

The free concert next to the Superdome to officially open Essence Festival was so much fun. It was a beautiful summer night after such a hot and humid day. There was an unexpected breeze as we danced and sang. Sza could really blow and she had a good DJ that got the audience who didn't know her songs hype.  Big Freedia was next which was a surprise to us all and he was killing it! As I was dancing, I thought I caught a glimpse of Montana through the crowd. I slowed down my twerking to see if he was there or was it my imagination.  I kept moving my head to see him because people were dancing wild all around us. It was him. He was watching this scantily clad woman as she twerked all up against him. He was laughing and dapping some men who I assumed were his friends at her moves.  There was a small crowd of men and women around him who definitely knew who he was and were snapping pics.  I had completely stopped dancing and was practically pushing people who blocked my view.  Luckily, everyone was either high on substances or life to pay attention to my craziness.  I looked back at my friends who were focused on the stage and not me.  I turned back to Montana and the woman now had her arms around his neck and he was dancing with her.  Ugh! Why do men like THOTs?  They both get on my nerves! I had to shake my head at my own silent rant, more mad at myself that I wasn't the type of woman who would ever be as bold as to dance like that with a man who was a stranger, even a sexy one like him. I was so caught in my own thoughts that I didn't realize that Montana was looking directly at me as he continued to dance with that woman. He half-smiled in recognition and I literally darted off in the opposite direction embarrassed he caught me staring.