09

Lyra (1)

"What's the big idea with making me train this early in the morning?" Korra asked with a pout. "The morning is evil." Korra threw the training ball to Bolin. "We're the rookies so we get the worst time slot in the gym."

As Bolin threw the ball to Mako, I crossed my arms, "I don't have to train but I'm still here!? Why'd you guys make Korra bring me?"

Bolin smiles, "Moral support!" I rolled my eyes, "I don't have any moral support to give before eight."

Mako looked to Korra, "You're the rookiest of us all. We gotta get you up to speed if we wanna survive in the tournament. Deal with it!" He roughly threw the ball to Korra, but being Korra, she just threw it back... harder, "You deal with it!"

Mako flew back as the ball hit his stomach. I chuckled while walking over to him, "That's why you don't give the Avatar attitude." I helped him up and he rolled his eyes, "Yeah, whatever."

"There are my little hard workin' street urchins!"

We all turned our heads to face Butakha. He was the owner of the pro-bending league and pays Mako and Bolin their winnings from their last match. He walked toward us with a smirk.

Butakha placed his hand on Korra's shoulder, "It's an honor to finally meet ya, Avatar!"

Korra cocked a brow, "And you are?"

"Butakha! I run this whole pro-bending shabang." As Korra walked away, Butakha finally noticed me. "Ah, my favorite cheerleader!"

I chuckled, "Hi Butakha, how's it going?"

"Wonderful my dear," he faced Mako and pulled out a stack of yuans from his fancy coat and placed it into Mako's hand. "Here's your winnings from the last match."

As Mako was about to take the money with a smile, Butakha wiggled his finger, "Ah, ah, ah, not so fast. First you owe me for the Avatar's new gear, gym equipment rentals from last month, rent on your apartment, and a personal loan for groceries." As he listed the things Mako and Bolin owed him, he kept taking a few bills each time - leaving mako's hand empty.

Mako and I looked to Bolin with our brows furrowed and a pout. Bolin shrugged, "What? I'm a growing boy!" He replied while rubbing his belly. I face palmed myself.

"Oh and one more small item of business. The Fire Ferrets need to anti up thirty thousand yuans for the championship pot."

"Thirty thousand yuans?!" Bolin and I both asked with shocked faces.

Butakha placed his hand on Mako's shoulder for a moment, "Sorry kids. You got till the end of the week to come up with the dough or else you're out of the tournament."

As Butakha walked away, Korra joined us. "You wouldn't happen to have a secret Avatar bank account overflowing with gold, would you?" Bolin asked her. Korra reaches into her pockets to pull out nothing, "I got nothing. I've never really needed money. I've always had people taking care of me."

I winced at her words.

"Then I wouldn't say you have nothing." Mako said lowly as he picked up the training ball and his gym bag from the floor.

"Sorry, I didn't mean..."

"No, it's alright. It's just... ever since we lost our parents, we've been on our own." Bolin said.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't know."

"So, anyway, how are we gonna come up with the money?" Mako asked while throwing the gym bag over his shoulder. "Oh, oh!" Bolin grinned while leaning down to the floor. "I got it, I got it! I've been training Pabu to do circus tricks. Now people would pay good money to see that."

I giggled and pet the ferret while Bolin held him up.

"C'mon Bolin." Mako scolded, "We need serious ideas."

Bolin pouted, "I was serious."

"Don't worry about it. I'll figure something out. I always do." Mako said before he walked away.

I put my hand on Bolin's shoulder, "I'll help you out with Pabu's show."

Bolin smiled, "Really?!" I nodded with a smile, "Yeah, it'll be fun."

>>>

Bolin, Pabu, and I went to central station. In front of Fire Lord Zuko's statue, Bolin and I sat down on a carpet and in front of us were two cups faced down, inches away from each other. On top of them was a long piece of wood.

Bolin dressed Pabu up in a cute circus outfit while he dressed himself up as a ringmaster. I didn't want to put on a costume but Bolin said I had to wear something. So I just put on a blue vest that Bolin had laying around.

As Bolin started to introduce Pabu, from the corner of my eye, a certain boy caught my attention. "I'll be right back."

I stood up and walked over to a group street kids laughing. I crossed my arms with a smirk, "Well if it isn't my favorite street kid."

The boy smiled when he saw me, "Ah, my favorite rich kid."

I laughed while playfully pushing him, "How ya been Skoochy?"

"Ya know how the rich kids treat us street kids. Not everyone's like ya Lyra." He shrugged. I sighed, "I know bud."

Skoochy looked past me and nudged his head, "Look's like ya boy is gettin' himself into some trouble."

I turned around and Bolin was getting into a person's car - a person that I'm not a fan of. "Bolin!"

From the rear view mirror, Shady Shin gave me a smirk before he quickly drove off. I groaned, "Crap. This isn't good. I'll see you around Skooch!"