Chapter 28 - Distant Earth

In the gloomy, spacious room among strange artefacts, stone furniture and unusual architecture of embossed wall prints and luminous blue light lamps, the thing that stand out the most to Lindsey is the unusual sword monument situated at the far end of the room. To a massive block of stone, a sword is thrust. From the looks of it, the heavy blue bladed sword wrapped in cobwebs had spent many centuries plunged in there, waiting for its Arthur or so as Lindsey imagined. It had curious carving on the blade, the profile of a lightning, Lindsey deduced.

Lindsey settled on her knee before it and studied the inscription written on the stone but to no avail as the language was scripted in alien characters. Although it had a little bit of similarity to the Atlantean language but the correlation would not make sense, she decided for now.

She sighed and looked around for other things of interest in the chamber. Somehow, the feel of the room reminded her of the temple room in the Alaskan cavern. Yet, the only similarity she could pinpoint is the 'stone-embossed writing system' which any archeologist would know is a common method in the olden days.

'Must be an alien artefact from the past too,' she thought.

This room, as it occurred to her, is not a captivity cell, or at least, in the past, it used to be someone's chamber---to someone very important. It was grandiose in all its makings, and but though devoid of dust or cobwebs, the room felt very, very old and wry. In fact, in her observation, the whole of the ship is ancient; rundown and tired. 'Are all of their ships this old?' she wondered.

She strode over to one of the huge windows.

The big glass window afforded her a view of her home world far off against the backdrop of the vast star field. It was her only view from where she is, as if like this ship that held her captive had its eyes only for Earth.

She stared at it, her heart filled with awe and admiration mixed with longing.

Outer space – who would've have thought that she would end up here? Never in her wildest dreams. The question looms on her: Will she ever be able to set foot on Earth again? For how long these invaders plan on keeping her alive eludes her.

She felt for the necklace pendant hanging on her chest...but it isn't there.

She reckoned that her stay here had already been more than two days. Her captors had allowed her to keep her watch. Yet to her, it felt like eternity.

She was treated more like a guest than a prisoner, much to her confusion. They placed her here in this chamber and not in some grungy prison cell. From the looks of this ancient castle-like spaceship, it may very well have dungeons in it. Anyhow, they're even keeping her healthy, serving her with all sorts of fruits, bread and grain – nothing familiar but tasty nonetheless. They also dressed her up in a regal, silky, white gown.

Watching Earth, Lindsey saw pinpoints of light that seemed to be dancing around it. It was evident that a war is going on again. She fell to her knees, clutching her fist in an effort to keep herself from shaking with fear and indignation. It's no longer just a space war anymore. It's an all-out invasion of Earth. Civilians are getting caught up in the war.

The intensity of the war between Earth against the aliens is not something neither she nor the people of the Earth had been prepared for, nor understood.

For all they were assured of was that the World Government had everything on their palms. Earth was secured and in control. Well, it was. For some reason, it no longer is at present.

But evidently, they, the people, were oblivious of the power and the strength of the forces that has been lurking outside Earth' atmosphere. For how long Earth can put up its defenses in the now concerns Lindsey.