27. "I'll marry you, one of those days, Judith."

A/N: Probably the last chapter before the epilogue, so what do you think? let me know, and please please please get me 1k reads before this story is done, ily x

__________________________________________________________

Harry

Time had slowed down, so slow that it could have come to a stop all together. She didn’t wake up yet, nor did she saw any signs of survival, except for the heart monitor indicating that her broken heart still had a pulse in it. Louis had excused himself to go get us some coffee, and to bring the rest of the boys to the room because they didn’t know their way. So I was left alone with Zayn.

“ Please don’t hate me.” My plea was supposed to go unheard, unnoticed by anyone but my own demonic thoughts.  

“ Hate you? Why would she hate you?” Zayn’s startled voice filled the air, as he brought a chair, and sat next to me.

“ I didn’t save her. I let him hurt her again, and now she- she’s in here, and I’m not, and I – I’m supposed to protect her. How will I ask her to marry me, to trust me, when I am unable to keep her safe?” I shook my head in utter defeat, my remorseful eyes never leaving the ground.

“ Hey, mate, you can’t think of it that way. You can’t protect her from everything, you can’t keep the world away. You’ll eventually slip and something will happen and it’s nobody’s fault, that’s just life, I guess.”

“ But how can someone live in that constant fear of the one he loves most getting hurt? How can I keep waiting for the moment, when I’ll slip and something will happen to her again? How can I live with myself?”

“ You don’t. You don’t think of all the bad things that might happen, because you can’t help it, and it’ll drive you fucking nuts. No matter how much you love someone, they will get hurt, Harry, and even if you spend your life keeping her in a box where nobody can reach her except for you, something will still happen to her, and you won’t be able to help it.”

“ But I love her.” As if that should be enough, as if that was the armor I used against life’s consistent attacks. He let out a sigh, putting a hand to my shoulder.

“ Make sure she knows that, and she should be fine.” I nodded, taking her hand in mine, bringing it to my mouth.

“ Wake up, Goddammit.” I whispered, and suddenly, the hazel eyes which I had fallen in love with all those years ago, were wide opened, staring at the ceiling, in utter confusion.

“ Judy, hey, you’re awake, you’re- are you okay? Are you in any pain?” I heard Zayn’s distancing steps walking out of the room, as I rose from my seat, cupping Judith’s face into my hands. Her eyes met mine, almost as if they couldn’t recognize me, as if I was a familiar stranger, she had dreamed of once upon a time, a face she had seen before, but couldn’t quite name.

“ Jesus, it’s me, Harry.” And as if the sound of my name had triggered something within her, she started crying, shaking her head, at the pictures which I was certain were haunting her mind. I pulled her into my arms, and she didn’t resist.

“ I’m sorry. I’m so fucking sorry. I love you. I’m sorry.” And she clung to my shirt, pulling at it almost to keep herself from falling to shreds, as a deafening scream went past her lips.

                                                          *********************

Her body was almost completely covered by mine, as she rested her head against my chest. I  could hear the boys bickering right outside her door. I let my fingers run through the length of her silky hair, the sound of her breathing being enough for me.

“ I’m sorry.” I whispered, burying my lips into her hair.

“ I am too.”

“ Why are you sorry?”

“ I should have fought harder. I should have stopped him. I – I was paralyzed, and I let him do this to me, and I –“

“ No, Judith. Fuck, you’re strong, you’re stronger than I thought you were, and this wasn’t your fault. You fought as hard as you possibly could. And it isn’t your fault that he was an unhuman son of a bitch. It isn’t your fault that I was there to help you- I should have been there, maybe then I would have been able to stop him, or, help you, or just do anything, but- fuck, I wasn’t there, and I’m so sorry.”  She lifted her head off my chest, looking at me with tender, brown, eyes. Her lips brushed against me, intoxicating me, blurring my jammed mind, and I was left with the overwhelming sensation of being kissed by her.

“ This isn’t your fault.” She whispered through the kiss.

“ I’m still sorry.” I allowed my hands to snake around her waist, resting at the bottom of her back.

“ I love you.” And I had to physically stop myself from letting out a gasp, because those words were directed towards me, and she didn’t regret saying that, and I didn’t need to pretend like they didn’t matter, because they did.

" I've loved you for as long as I can remember. I loved you ten years ago, I love you now, and I'll love you till I forget how to love."

" Harry-" She pleaded, deepening the kiss.

“ I’ll marry you, one of those days, Judith.” I cut her off.

“ Promise?” Her voice was desperate, as she barely pulled away, panting for air.

“ I promise.” A smile graced her lips, and I wondered how something so simple, could make me feel so deeply inside. As I found myself falling further in love with her, if that was even humanly possible.