Chapter 4

(Hosanna's POV)

I wake to Eric holding me tightly to his body.  I stroke his arm and he sighs.  "Are you okay?" I ask. 
"As long as you're here with me, I'm good," he says plainly. 
I try to roll over in his arms but he's holding me so closely that I can't.  "Are you sure you're alright?  Did you have a bad dream or something?" I question. 
"Something like that," he mumbles. 
He gives me a little space and I move around to embrace him as well.  "I love you, you know that right?" he says. 
I grin.  "Of course I do," I reply gazing into his eyes. 
Something must be really wrong by the way he's staring at me.  He looks really shaken up.  I stroke his cheek and he closes his eyes.  He sighs shakily.  "Do you want to talk about what's bothering you?" I ask. 
His eyes snap open and meet mine.  "You know I would never cheat on you, right?" he responds evenly. 
Oh, so this is what has him so upset.  I think about how he was behaving yesterday and last night.  He's been a little closer to me than usual since our argument, having me within arms reach, always keeping contact, not wanting to part to meet his brother.  I recall how Nita behaved, too.  She looked guilty, but I guess it was that he might've caught her in something or maybe she's just afraid of him.  I think about Rosie and how he rejected her, how he rejected everyone but me.  He showed me the footage, brought me in to her interrogation, and even offered to get the recordings with Nita.  I don't believe he has anything to hide and he never will.  He's loyal to me, he loves only me.  I meet his eyes again and I see worry.  "I believe that you would never do that to me, that you only want me.  There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that you would ever stray from our marriage," I reply firmly. 
He sighs in relief and holds my cheeks in his hands.  Our foreheads touch and we both close our eyes, breathing in this moment, the closeness and connection we share.  I love him so much and I believe he meant every word of his vows. I don't know what came over me yesterday to ever doubt him.
We hold each other for a while kissing, which eventually leads to us making love.  We shower again together which was probably a mistake since he can't keep his hands off of me.  I normally wouldn't have taken a shower at night like I did yesterday but I needed to wash the chlorine out of my hair from the pool and my hair looked like Lizzy's crazy bedhead after the morning we've had together.  My hair is getting so long anymore.  Eric loves it like this though. 
I unpack our bags into the closet while Eric finishes up in the bathroom.  When he comes out, he stands behind me.  He slips his arms around me and buries his face in my neck.  "I hate to bring it up again but I should probably tell you more about Nita.  My dad explained a few things they learned about her yesterday while Elliot was in the bath and my mom helped Lizzy get settled in her bedroom," he mumbles on my skin. 
"Alright," I say.  "Just let me finish putting all of this away and dry my hair.  We can sit down on the sofa and talk."
"Okay," he whispers kissing my shoulder and stepping away. 
I finish putting everything in the closet and take my makeup bag into the bathroom.  I dry my hair, braid the front, and style it.  I put a little makeup on and walk out of the bathroom to see Eric on the sofa.  He looks to be watching the weather or something on the television. 
I walk over and take a seat beside him.  "I wish we had something like this," he says. 
I grin.  "Maybe someday," I respond.  "So what about Nita?" I ask. 
He turns the screen back to the forest scene, setting the remote down and turning to me.  "So, my dad has been watching her for a while.  She has no idea she's being monitored.  She keeps going down to some area in the lower levels near the genealogy room. He had her followed the first time and found out there is an ancient tunnel underground that leads out past their fence. She's been escaping through there. After she had disappeared several more times, he had her followed outside. She's been going to the Fringe and meeting with some people there. He can't get close enough to hear what's going on, but he's tempted to take her into custody and interrogate her. He said if she leaves again, she'll be questioned. I guess they have a protocol here, that people must come in and out through the main gate. They must check their weapons at the checkpoint and she's been sneaking around, exiting without telling anyone. There have been some attacks in the past from the Fringe, hence the reason for their fence and weapons protocol," he explains.
"So, she's a traitor," I state. "Or she's looking to possibly betray them."
"It's possible," he nods.
"She could have weapons hidden somewhere here," I say.
"You're right. She could and we have no weapons on us. I think I want your guards escorting you around if I'm not nearby," he says.
I nod in agreement. We sit together in silence for a moment pondering what could happen before heading downstairs to breakfast.
We arrive to an elaborate looking buffet. I smell vinegar and see a man scooping eggs out of a boiling pot of water and immediately pull Eric over to that station. "What's this?" Eric asks confused.
"Poached eggs," I say.
"Oh, you made those before. They were really good," he says. I grin thinking that we're both already feeling better.
The chef explains that they're eggs Benedict. He lists all the options and my mouth is practically watering.
"Eric, what do you want?" I ask.
"The crab with lemon chive biscuits," he states.
"That sounds really good," I say.
"I'll share if you get something else," he offers.
"The salmon with avocado?" I question.
He smiles. We have them both made to order. We grab a cup of coffee each and a dish of fruit salad.
We sit at the table and enjoy our meals together. Eric keeps his left arm around me and we take turns feeding each other. Sam, Zander, and Aaron join us. I smile at them.
"Hey, I've got an assignment for you three," Eric says.
"Yes, sir," they respond. He quietly explains the situation and that if he's ever away from my side, he wants them to fill in. Of course they all agree.
"So how did your exams go yesterday?" Eric laughs asking my guards. 
"Fine," Zander and Aaron say at the same time. 
"Terrible," Sam mumbles. 
"You're a married man now.  They've got to make sure you're healthy and reproducing," Eric grins. 
"You got the same thing, right?" Sam questions with brows furrowed. 
"Don't remind me.  But at least if one of us ends up with cancer, they've got the cure out here," he says. 
"What?" everyone asks at once. 
I blink remembering that's not common knowledge.  "Yeah," I say chewing on a slice of strawberry.  "Diane should be joining us for breakfast with Jude."
The two older guards look to me in shock.  "I thought you both spoke with Amar," I say.  They shake their heads. "I sent Jude with Diane to meet Amar the night of my graduation. He brought them here. She's been in the hospital recovering for a long time since she was so far gone but from what I hear, she's doing well," I explain.
They all just stare at me. Aaron is the first to speak, "Jude's the former leader, right? The one you took the place of." I nod.
They continue to gape at me. "What?" I question.
"Did you save anyone else?" Zander asks.
"We brought out two initiates after the first stage. Jeanine wanted them executed for being Divergent," Eric adds.
"What?" Sam asks.
I shrug. "She told us to deal with them so we did. We got them out of her hair. Edward needed his eye healed since Peter raked it. He'd be blind in the city if we hadn't gotten him out or hunted by Jeanine. Plus, she'd come after us if she ever found out," I explain.
"Not anymore," Eric laughs.
"Right, not anymore," I agree.
"How did you ever find this place?" Aaron asks still staring at me.
I shrug again. "I freaked out and ran away when I realized I was pregnant. I felt a pull to leave the fence. I slipped out without being seen. I ran until Amar picked me up. He knew my brother so I trusted him," I elaborate.
"God does use you," Sam says.
"I think he does," I nod continuing on my fruit. "So... anything unusual happen yesterday?"
"Yeah, they said when I get home, not to touch the baby. They said to wash my clothes and take a shower before touching him," Sam says confused.
"That's weird," Aaron says.
"It's probably because of what happened to me," I say taking a sip of my coffee. They all stare ready to hear the story. I sigh and explain about getting that rash on my feet in the Fringe.
"So there's an area like Factionless out there?" Zander asks.
"From what I hear, they're a bit more aggressive. They seemed pretty docile though when we gave them food and water. Their living conditions are harsher, though," Eric says.
"You gave food to the Factionless?" Aaron asks.
Eric shrugs, "Yeah."
"Are you turning Stiff on us, sir?" he asks confused.
Eric just blinks in surprise. "I don't think the boarders really matter anymore. Do you?" I respond. Aaron meets my eyes. "Maybe you'll understand after today. Just know, after every meal you eat in the Dauntless cafeteria, what you don't finish actually does feed the Factionless."
He remains quiet for a bit, probably pondering what I just explained. It's not every day that a scary Dauntless leader gives a homeless person food. Everyone but Abnegation would rather step on them than look at them. This must be a shock.
Jude and Diane enter the dining hall and a wave of silence covers the room. Jude's eyes meet mine and they walk straight over to us. I can't get a good look at Diane since she's behind him. Jude appears remarkably younger for his age. My guards quickly slide down for them to sit beside me. I see Diane and I start to sob. Her skin was so grey and withered before, as if the life was sucked out of her. Now she looks young and healthy, like this is her daughter before me, not Diane. "You look wonderful," I tell her embracing her.
"Thank you... so much," she says crying, too. I hold her as we weep together.
Jude brings her breakfast and sits beside Eric talking. She calms and joins us in the meal. My guards are in awe as they watch us chat and interact. I'm sure they've known she's been ill for a while. "If you don't mind me asking..." I start.
"Anything, sweet girl," she says grasping my hand.
"Jude told us before that you both wanted children, but that you struggled and they've cured the problem now. Are you going to try?" I wonder.
"Well..." she says grinning at Jude. "I'm told that they want us to wait for me to be completely healthy for a year. I have an appointment in a few months. Once the doctors give us the go ahead, we plan on trying."
"Oh, I'm so happy for you," I tell her. "I have a friend in Abnegation that struggled. It must've been such a heartbreaking ordeal to go through," I say solemnly.
"Louise, right? And baby Seth?" she grins.
"Yes, How did you..." I begin.
"I've seen them on the screens. She's so happy with her little one," she tells me.
"I'm so glad," I say squeezing her hand.

*****Thanks for reading!  I hope you enjoyed this one.*****

Words of Wisdom:
It's funny how if you ask God for healing, you can receive it.  I've never had this happen before to me until recently.  I think all things happen for a reason but I went to the doctor for a regular checkup.  My doctor felt a lump on my thyroid.  My great-grandmother died young from problems with her thyroid.  That was a different time but still scary.  This all happened around Christmas.  While with my family, they prayed for me, laid their hands on me.  I had an ultrasound and could clearly see there was something huge there that didn't match up to the other side.  To make a long story short, I received a letter from my doctors office saying I'm fine.  My husband couldn't feel a lump after that.  God healed me. 

"Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective."
James 5:16 NIV

"Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."
Proverbs 16:24 NIV