Prologue (Trailer I)

Prologue

Luke Archer

Take a deep breath, Luke. I rubbed my hands together and sighed when I spotted Summer sitting at our usual lunch table with her friends and a couple of guys from the football team who were hanging on every word she was saying. I couldn’t blame them, to be honest, since Summer was really quite gorgeous with her long blond hair, blue eyes and model figure. In fact, it was the way she looked that made me think she was it when we first started dating.

However, her looks weren’t enough to make up for the fact that she was a selfish, superficial, conceited bitch.

Summer and I had been dating since sophomore year, when she transferred to Roseville High from a private school in the city. She caused quite an uproar on her first day of school: all the guys fell in love with her right on the spot, and even I was a bit stirred, which was saying a lot. However, I was Luke Archer, and Luke Archer did not go after girls. They came on their own. Two weeks after Summer started going to school here, she got my number and asked me out. We’ve been dating ever since.

I waved dismissively when people greeted me as I made my way to Summer. She smiled her perky-cheerleader smile when she spotted me approaching, and the guys sitting across from her- Roger Coleman, Bryce Anderson, and Seth Hemsworth, guys from my football team- immediately scattered to make room for me.

“Hi, babe!” she said, giving her hair a flip. “You like what I did to my hair?”

I stared blankly at her, unable to perceive any difference. Here’s another thing about Summer that irritated me: she had to be complimented every hour or so to feel good about herself.

“She got it trimmed,” Paul, my best friend, whispered beside me. Like I gave a damn about her hair.

 “Yeah,” I said nonchalantly, not wanting to beat around the bush. “Summer, we need to talk. Alone.” I eyed the people around us and motioned them to leave, but Summer stopped them by saying, “Luke, come on, they don’t need to go! They are our friends!”

Okay. It’s your call. “I suppose you’re right.” I took a deep breath and sighed. “Summer, I think we should break up.”

The collective gasp that ensued turned the entire cafeteria silent. Suddenly everyone was watching the “popular table”. Summer, letting out a strangled laugh, raised her eyebrow at me. “Luke, are you feeling sick, baby?”

“No!” I ran my hand through my hair. “I just can’t do this anymore. I’m sorry.”

 Her lips quavered, and I could tell she was pissed but was trying her best to hide her anger. “You’re breaking up with me in front of the entire school?”

 “You said they didn’t need to go.” I shot a glance at the crowd forming around us.

“Yeah, that’s because I didn’t know you were going to break up with me!” she screamed.

“Like I said, I’m sorry.” Pushing my chair back, I got to my feet and strode toward the exit. Wow. I actually did it. I broke up with Summer Merrick, and damn, it felt good. Really good. No more meaningless bullshit. No more daily hissy fits. No more whiny phone calls late at night…

“I’ve been seeing Paul behind your back for the last six months!”

 I stopped in my track. “WHAT?”

She smirked at me when I whipped my head around to face her. “Didn’t know that, did you, Luke? I guess we’re even.”

Un-freaking-believable. She would gloat about cheating on her boyfriend in front of the entire school, just to not look pathetic. A pang of incredulity and betrayal darted through me as I turned to Paul, my best friend of five years. The guilt on his face confirmed everything Summer said. “Is it true?”

He shifted uncomfortably from where he was standing when he saw me taking steps toward him. “Luke, man, I-”

He grunted when my fist connected with his face. Roger, Bryce and Seth stepped forward simultaneously, but retreated when I threw them a sharp look.

“I’m sorry,” Paul choked out in between his ragged breathing, blood spewing from his nose.

“Save it. You and me, we’re done here. And as for you,” I whipped my head to Summer with distaste and contempt. “Congratulations. You turned out to be a bigger bitch than I thought.”   

I stormed out of the cafeteria and left the commotion behind.