Chapter 3: The Red Sky

(Arulla's P.O.V.)

I slept for hours the next day, dreaming of the night before. I hear a pound on the door, and I sit straight up.

"Who is it?" I ask groggily.

"It's me ma'm, your father requests your presence on the balcony."

I yawn, "Alright, thank you Frederick." I get up quickly and throw on a dress, boots, my ring, and I pull my hair into a bunn.

As I neared the entrance to the stairs that led to the balcony, I hear a booming voice above me,

"Dragon!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

My heart stopped, that's my father's voice. I look up and sure enough there he was, leaning over the edge of the balcony into the mountian.

His eyes quickly looked down as I shouted his name. Our eyes lock for but only a moment, then he ran back into the balcony and not a moment after that, the balcony was engulfed in flames.

"Adad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I screamed.

My eyes were locked onto the balcony, searching for any sign that he might be alive. Before I knew it a strong hand had wrapped around my arm and pulled me away from the balcony and into the stables. When the strange figure released my hand, I looked up and saw that it was my mother, and she was saddeling her pony Finn.

"Come now Arulla, we have to hurry and get out of here. Hurry up!."

I shook my head, "No Amad, I can't leave him! We can't leave without Adad. I won't!"

A door flew open and I jerked my head around to see a tall dwarf with ashes covering his face and dirt covered his clothes.

"Adad!"

I started running to him, tears already streaming down my face. When I reached him, he picked me up and cradled me, and my fingers slowly found their way into his beard.

"Are you all right Arulla? Are you hurt?" I shook my head no, and he embraced me tighter.

"Arulla..." He started, I knew what he was gong to say, so I started to shake my head again, "... Arulla you must go with your mother."

"No Adad I won't leave you here!"

"Listen to me, you will ride with your mother to a safe place and I will find you there. I swear that I will not stop until I find you again." I tightened my grip,

"No!"

He sighed and kissed my mother who then got up on the small horse, but I refused to let go of my father.

"Alright Arulla you may stay here, but you must stay in the stables." I looked up and my grip loosened.

"I love you Arulla."

"Do you really mean it Adad, I can stay?"

"No."

The next thing I knew, he threw me up onto the pony and smacked him. My fingers, trailed through his beard one last time and then he was gone.

I curled into my mother's arms and cried. I was worried that I was never going to see my father ever again. When I looked back I could see the mountian still burning with flames, and I knew somewhere in the havoc my father was there, trying to find anyone who was still alive. I turned back around, and a tear fled my eye as I was hoping and praying to Mahal that somehow, someway, my father and I would be together again.

My mother let out a huge gasp, I quickly looked up and saw her terror. A small pack of orcs stood on aa hill, crossing our path to escape, with only the forest of the Greenwood to save us. There was but one thing to do, run... Or in this case gallop. My mother fiercely urged the pony on and we dove into the forest, and the orcs gave chase. Branches scraped the surface of my cheek and I could only hear the roaring of the orcs. I look back at the mountian, wondering when my father will come to the rescue, and save my mother and I. But I could only see the warg's glistening white teeth as the orcs got closer and closer.

"Oh Adad. Please come save us. Mahal save us."

<~~~~>

(Thorin's P.O.V)

I threw my daughter onto the pony and my wife wrapped her arms tightly around her as she understood what I was trying to do. I had no time to say goodbye, no time to stroke theirs heads, but I had time to get them out as quick as I could. I slapped the pony's back, and it charged forward. My daughter's hand slowly released my beard and when they were gone out of the stables, my heart fell into the pit of my stomach.

I quickly retreated back into the mountian, and still my heart ached. I ran up to the balcony and I could see the little pony galloping off into the distance. A tear fell from my eyes as I could barely see my daughter's head poke out and look back at me. I quickly turned away and went back into the mountian side to find surviviors, and I prayed to Mahal to keep them safe from harm. Please keep them from harm.