Chapter 38 - Please Stay

Day of the Blood Moon

The castle walls were littered with the sounds of metal clanking against each other, fierce murmurs, and a deep uneasiness that had settled into the air. Silver - now the most precious commodity, lined the swords of every vampire soldier. Their fangs were coated with silver tips, serving a bite of lethality to every werewolf at its mercy. 

Nathaniel watched from his chamber's windows as the archers dipped their arrows in pots of boiling silver, and the cavalry inspected their horses. Although it was not his intention, he was glad that Arabella had been relatively hidden from all this movement in her haven - for it would surely startle her. But he could no longer avoid the inevitable - he had to tell her today, before nightfall.

For the first time in a long while, he could see that she was happy. They had spent a great amount of time together in the vampire-made forest. Her wolf was the most beautiful animal he had laid his eyes on, they ran together, and he was amazed to find his vampire speed challenged by her wolf's strong hind legs. When he retired from his meetings and retreated back into her arms, they made love like it was the only thing left to do in the world. The thoughts of Arabella served a mighty distraction for Nathaniel, at a time where he could least afford it - but he was more than happy to relent. But now, he could lose everything.

He made his way back to the treehouse, where he had spent all his nights in since then. The smell of banana pancakes filled the air the moment he stepped in. He sensed someone running up to him from behind and smiled as he knew who it was, Ara jumped onto Nathaniel from behind giggling, giving him a peck on his right cheek.

They enjoyed the breakfast together, with Nathaniel listening to Arabella talk about the different birds she had spotted and taken photos of in the forest. He tried his hardest to take in everything - the way she frowned slightly when she was concentrating on describing a memory, the way she tucked her loose hair behind her ears, the way she threw her head back in laughter when he said something funny, and mostly - the way her eyes sparkled slightly when she was looking at him. He didn't know how the rest of the day would turn out, but for the moments they were together - everything was alright.

"What are you thinking about?" Ara noticed Nathaniel spacing out.

Nathaniel smiled, "About you,"

Ara blushed furiously - which amused Nathaniel considering she already knew the feelings he had for her

Ara blushed furiously - which amused Nathaniel considering she already knew the feelings he had for her. But he liked the way she quickly grabbed her cup of coffee to hide the way her cheeks looked.

"There is something I need to tell you."

"Hmm?" Arabella said, still holding the cup closely to her face.

"Whatever I have to say is not going to be easy to hear. But just listen, okay?"

Ara placed the cup down, her heart started to race the way when you first know something bad is about to happen.