Chapter Fifty-Six

When we got to California, the first thing I did was take Delaney to Shawn's clinic. A fourteen-hour plane ride and she was still completely knocked out. It was worrying the f-ck out of me. It couldn't be healthy for her to be out for this long, with no food and no water. It stressed me out and I found myself checking her pulse every hour during the plane ride.

Shawn wasted no time in taking care of Delaney. He was a close friend to her, so he worked carefully to make sure she was in good condition. She was put in one of his beds with a IV attached to her. Watching her just lay there was hard for me. I was so close to her, but I felt like she might as well still be in Iceland. I guess now I knew how she felt when I got my concussion. It was a horrible feeling and I couldn't wait for her to open her eyes.

After the fourteen-hour flight and a couple of hours of being in the clinic, Delaney finally moved. She jerked up with her fists balled up and screamed, "F-ck you! Let me go!" She scared the f-ck out of me and I jumped back from how quick she woke up. Her chest heaved, and she slowly put down her fist when she noticed she was in a familiar environment.

Her eyes got as big as the moon when she turned her head to face me. As if she just wasn't ready to fight someone, a huge smile spread across her face. She touched her face and felt her facial features as if to see if she was real before pinching her arm. My grin was wide as I stood up over her bed. She looked at me with her eyes twinkling with excitement. "I'm in Shawn's clinic! I'm here! I'm here! Andy!"

"Hey, darlin'. I thought you would never wake up. You were like sleeping beauty, but it was actually pretty sad." It lifted my heart to hear an adorable giggle come from her. I took one of her hands and she squeezed my hand tightly as if I was going to snatch it away. "How are you feeling? Are you okay?" I leaned down and kissed her forehead and she grabbed my face and stared into my eyes.

"I thought I'd never see you again," she said softly.

As if right on time to witness Delaney's alertness and also to ruin a moment, Shawn waltzed in with a clipboard in hand. When he saw Delaney was awake, he gave us an award-winning smile. "Well, look who's finally awake! How are you feeling, Delaney? Any pain?"

Delaney focused her attention on Shawn and I stood straight but continued to focus on her. I couldn't believe she was right here, safe and sound. I didn't want to lose her like that again. "My head's a bit foggy. How long have I been out? I'm pretty exhausted and a little nauseated, but nothing too bad. I kind of feel like I have a hangover? That probably sounds stupid."

"According to Andy and what your father told her, you've probably been in and out around thirty hours. Your system showed a high dosage of Rohypnol. The first go around, you were probably knocked out for eight hours and I think the last time he gave you the drugs, you were knocked out for twenty to twenty-two hours it seems. That's a very high and abnormal dosage for recreational use or harmful use. However, since Andy got you here as soon as she can, your vitals are pretty stable. We got you hydrated through the IV. The next thing is to get you to eat. Rohypnol victims are known to say that the symptoms after are similar to hangovers, but you should get over it within the next couple of days. For now, I'm going to grab you some ice-cold water and a snack to get your appetite back up. It's good to have you back, Delaney."

Shawn exited the room and closed the door behind him. I kept holding on to Delaney's hand but sat back down in the chair that I had scooted up to her bed. I kissed her hand gently and she let out a deep sigh. I knew we were going to have to talk about real sh-t. Diego. Luis. Her mother. Though, the news of Diego and Luis was good. The news of her mother was going to tear her to pieces and I wasn't ready for that.