XXXVII

Inertia Louis

I looked down at my dress and sighed

I looked down at my dress and sighed. Reminding myself I have no other option, I put on the heels and checked my make up one last time in the mirror. Why am I so decked up? So my dear mother has forced me to host a grand party inviting almost all the important people of the city and then make my marriage announcement official. That's how she will know I won't back off. I haven't told Zach yet. It has been nine hours since he left my house today. I want to tell him but I know he would never allow me to do this. 

"Someone's looking pretty." Mike smirked.

"Mike, why are you doing this? The last time I checked you didn't want me forced into a marriage with you." I stated. 

"Things change, people change." He shrugged.

"Don't bullshit me. You mean she has something on you and that's why you're doing this."

"I am not allowed to tell you that but you should know she has something on everyone." 

"Well then looks like the two of us are stuck. Let's get to the party shall we?" I asked and hooked my arm with him.

If I have to pretend, I might as well make it look real because if people don't buy this whole marriage thing then there is no way I can buy myself time to find out what dirt my mother has on Mike and how I can destroy those pictures she has on me. We walked down the stairs together and the applause began. Cameras clicked and flashed as I waved to them and Mike pretended to look at me with affection. This was as fake as it could get. Once we both were in the centre of the room my mother made a toast.

"I'd like to make a toast today and also give out the big news all of you are here for. Inertia Louis and Mike Thompson are engaged!" My mother announced, "This toast I to them so that they get married soon and have a great married life." Cheers filled the room and reporters began asking questions.   

"Since my mother so kindly made the announcement for my guests and the media, I'd like to say one last thing. There is an interview I have organised two hours from now. I'd like it if all the questions were asked then."

"Let the party begin!" Mike added and everyone laughed.

"Excuse me, I'll be by the bar." I told Mike as he engaged in a conversation with someone I don't know and don't care about.

Once I was alone at the bar sipping some wine, thoughts of Zach bombarded my mind. There's no way that he doesn't know about this after this party. The media must have aired it live and I don't anyone could miss this news now. What if Zach wants nothing to do with me? What if he doesn't understand I'm doing this for us? I don't think I can tell him the reason either because there is someone that's feeding my mother with information and if they come to know what I'm upto, I'm screwed. 

"Could you get me something stronger?" I asked the bartender.

"Sure ma'am, how about some very old scotch? Or whiskey?" He asked.

"Mix the two and pour me a ninety, once I'm done with that, repeat until I tell you to stop."

I began drinking. People came congratulated me, talked for about 5 minutes and then walked away. I knew it wouldn't do me any good but at the moment, it felt just right. Don't get me wrong I don't want to get drunk but the only way I can deal with this is if I am drunk so its better if I have enough alcohol in my system to hide how disgusted I am by my mother. Right when I was on my third glass, she appeared right next to me. Great, now I have to deal with her. 

"You better not be drunk, you have an interview in the next sixty minutes." My mother whispered. 

"What do you mean? It is two hours away." I said. 

"You're clearly drunk. You've spent the past hour drinking! Get the hell up to you room and sober up!" She said and walked away.

That's when it began. Suddenly, nothing felt right. I couldn't breath and my vision was blurring. It felt as if all the air was being sucked out of me. I began walking to the washroom but I was stumbling in my path. Black dots danced in front of my eyes as I opened the door to the washroom. I couldn't take it anymore. I bent down towards the toilet and puked my guts out. I sat down on the floor after flushing the toilet. I just had a panic attack.

Zach Miller 

"The number you have called is unavailable, please try again later." I called Inertia to ask her if she was coming over but she didn't pick up. 

I casually went though the news channels to find something I thought would never happen. I froze after looking at the two faces on every news channel. Inertia and Mike... they were the headlines and all the channels were airing only one news. 'Mike Thompson and Inertia Louis engaged and to be married soon. The floor had shifted from beneath my feet. I couldn't think straight. I have to go to her. Not now I told myself. Wait till the party and conference is over. She will have an explanation... she loves you. Even thought my heart believed Inertia wouldn't do something like this to me, my mind... my mind said otherwise.