ZERO

PROLOGUE
( FIRST TIME HE SAW HIM )

PROLOGUE( FIRST TIME HE SAW HIM )

August 2015

"WELCOME TO HELL, BOYS."

The sophomore girl hand her arms over the two freshmen boys' shoulders. They had just entered the building for Midtown High School, and at seeing the halls that were somehow even more chaotic than the middle school, it made Nick Berry and Marty Milton halt in their tracks with wide eyed expressions. Anita Rowe glanced down at them both and chuckled as she pushed them both lightly to keep walking so none of them would get ran over. She then dropped her arms and yanked the papers from their hands that had the boys' locker numbers and schedules on it. "Oh, lucky you, your lockers are just across from each other," Anita said and led the way to where the freshmen lockers were.

Nick and Marty glanced at each other as they followed the girl, slightly panicked. But the fact that the three of them were together calmed the boys down a bit. The three of them formed a friendship ten years ago when the boys were four and when Anita was five. No one really knows how it happened. One day Anita wasn't their friend and the next she was. Ever since then, they've surprisingly stuck together like glue.

Nicky dodged a droid flying towards his head, bumping into Marty who pushed him back to walk straight. He patted the taller boy's shoulder as a thanks, blindly walking as he looked at the other kids in the halls. A few girls in his grade looked back at him and giggled as they waved at him, and he just gave a tightlipped smile back and a small nod. He noticed a few seniors huddled together at the end of the hallway with a bucket in the middle of the group; Nick didn't want to know what was in the bucket.

He rolled his eyes at realizing it was probably a prank of some sort, and was about to turn to Marty and ask him about his schedule when his eyes landed on a boy on the other side of the hallway. The boy had brown hair that was parted neatly to the side, and equally brown eyes with fair skin. He was laughing with his friend, who was bigger with dark hair parted down the middle and darker skin, but Nick was more focused on the other boy. Though, the small trance he was in broke as he suddenly face planted the tiled floor.

Marty whipped his head to the side as he heard a smack! on the ground, and then looked down to see his best friend face first on the ground, Nick's backpack lopsided and hanging off of his side. He busted out laughing, causing Anita to turn and laugh, too, once she noticed Nick on the ground. Nick groaned and quickly jumped on his feet after just laying there for a few seconds. He ignored the looks and laughs that were coming from anyone who weren't Marty or Anita.

"I'm okay," he said quickly, brushing the invisible dirt off of his shirt. Nick glanced down and kicked a shoe – he fucking tripped over a random ass shoe; why was there a shoe – into the wall. "Dandy, even, perfectly peachy! C'mon, where's my locker, Ani?"

Anita laughed. "Are you positive those freckles of yours didn't get misplaced?" She teased, and lifted a hand to motion to the many freckles on Nick's face.

"Good one, Ani," Marty chuckled.

"Oh, hilarious," said Nick, rolling his eyes.

Anita finally got to Nick's locker, and then dragged Marty's to his which was on the other side of the hallway and just a few or so lockers down from the boy Nick had been staring at. A boy who Nicky caught looking at him as he glanced over his shoulder while he grabbed the books he needed. The boy blushed at being caught, and blushed even more as Nick grinned and waved. The blushing boy looked away then, making Nick laugh slightly to himself as he shut the locker door.

"Does your face still hurt?"

Nick turned and leaned his back on his locker, and then looked at Marty with a bored expression. "No, actually," he said. "Where'd Ani go?"

"To her own locker," Marty replied. "We have to find our classes on our own, sadly."

"Did you actually think she'd take us there like she's our mom or something?" Nick asked. He chuckled at Marty's shrug. "Well, we have the same first period, yeah? So, let's just go ahead and look for it so we won't be late."

Marty grinned and wrapped an arm around Nick's shoulders. "Aw, look at my lil Nick thinking with his brain!"

"I hate you."

"Nah, you love me!"

"...I guess."

That earned Nick a push from Marty, making him almost run into a pretty blonde girl with blue eyes who had been walking in the middle of the hallway. Nick mumbled a quick sorry, and then sent a death glare to his best friend who was laughing once again. The girl rolled her eyes, about to leave, when Nick noticed her a schedule on the ground. He quickly picked it up and read the name – Quin. No last name or middle initial, making him frown before he quickly caught up with her.

"Hey, uh, Blondie," Nick said and gently touched her shoulder. Quin spun around with narrowed eyes. He stood awkwardly as he handed out the piece of paper. "Think you dropped this."

She quickly snatched it away from him after glancing at it; her eyes had gone wide for a second before she relaxed. "Yeah, no thanks to you and your buddy," she snapped. Then under her breath as she turned away, "Fucking hate freshmen..."

"A thank you would be much appreciated anyway!" Nick yelled at her in annoyance, and turned to go back to Marty before he could see the look he got from her.

Marty raised an eyebrow. "Rude older kid?" He asked.

"Guess so," Nick muttered. "C'mon, let's go find our first class in Hell."

***

A/N— fair warning, Nick's clumsy so expect to read about him falling quite often and the others, like good friends, laughing at him before helping him up. Anita and Marty also don't know Nick's gay, no one does, but they'll find out eventually.

This was a just a little insight on the three's friendship together and the boy's first day high school, and when Nick's crush on Peter started. Oh and there's gonna be 2 parts of this; Part 1 goes to Civil War and Part 2 goes to Homecoming. Really hope you guys like it!

((Ooh and the blonde - Quin - at the very end is another OC from another fic I'm working on in my drafts. Idk when it'll be up, if ever, but that's who that is. She's the (not) kinda average junior who's moody and stressed about school and other things lmao)).