SIX: SLY SNAKE OR RAVEN FAIR?

I don't own Harry Potter, I'm just borrowing him for a little while.

"First 'ears, first 'ears over 'ere," called Hagrid and Harry quickly moved towards where Hagrid was walking with a lantern.

"Over 'ere now watch your step," Hagrid boomed as he lead them down to the lake in the dark. "That's it, every'one 'ere? Good. No more than four to a boat now, up ya go," Hagrid said as they all loaded into boats. Harry ended up with Theo and Blaise who had caught up with him as well as Neville who had somehow escaped Hermione's clutches.

"Hey Neville, I see you still have Trevor," said Harry inclining his head towards the toad in Neville's hands.

"Yeah, he's tried to escape a few more times but I managed to catch him," Neville answered proudly. "Where is your pet? I thought I saw a cat in your compartment when we were in there?" Harry smiled as Blaise and Theo came to the same realization and looked around.

"His name is Hades. He goes where he wants and can use the shadows to get back to me," answered Harry.

"He's a shadow panther!" Theo suddenly exclaimed.

"Of course, did you think he was a kneasle?" Harry asked incredulously.

"But what about the rules? Won't they make you send him home?" asked Blaise.

"He's my familiar so they can't make me," answered Harry. "Not to mention the loophole in the rules where they fail to mention the type of cat one can bring." Theo looked at him appraisingly.

"You're right, you are a snake," said Theo and Neville looked resigned. It took Harry a moment to figure out why.

"Don't worry Nev, I'll still be your friend no matter what houses we end up in. After all House Potter and House Longbottom have longstanding friendships do we not?" Harry said. Neville nodded happily his face once more lighting up and Harry smiled.

"Besides we could break the Gryffindor, Slytherin feud between the two of us," said Harry.

"You think I could be in Gryffindor? But I'm always afraid," said Neville.

"Bravery isn't the absence of fear, but the triumph over it," said Harry. "A muggle man named Nelson Mandela said that. He's from South Africa and fought to end racism." Neville looked thoughtful at this before his body language took on a more steeled undertone. 'Perfect' Harry thought, 'if I can get the brave man I know Neville to be to come forward sooner he could be a good ally'.

They ducked under the vines when Hagrid called out despite knowing instinctively that he was much taller than they were. Gasps of awe sounded from the new students as they looked up at the beautiful castle that was to be their home away from home. Harry felt it the moment he entered the wards. He almost cried at the feeling. He felt like he was coming home. The magic in the air seemed to embrace him and he felt the words in his mind.

'Welcome back my son, you will save us all'. At this he audibly gasped. No one noticed too caught up in their own awe.

'Hogwarts?' he tried in his mind.

'Yes Little One?' Hogwarts answered back.

'How?' he asked.

'I am sentient Little One yet not mortal therefore beyond time. I know why you have come back and I plan to help you. The portraits and ghosts will help you and refuse Albus's attempts at spying. There will be nowhere in my walls you will not be able to go for this is your home and it always will be. Restore me to glory Little One for I have fallen from glory for the misplaced pride of a nation and the ego of a single man.' Hogwarts answered.