Chapter 15

Like splatters of paint, the stars litter the sky. The moon is only a sliver, a mere day away from disappearing. Goosebumps rise onto my skin as the breeze blows.

Ruben wraps his arm around my shoulders and pulls me into him, pressing his lips to my temple. "We should get going back to the Palace," he says, voice hushed as he swings his legs back and forth, kicking his heels against the concrete. We sit on the rooftop of my family apartment building in the Convex Sector. The boat-shaped Palace glows with its lights in the distance. "We have a long day tomorrow."

I tear my gaze from the north and meet Ruben's eyes. "We do." I sigh. "Do you think we are making the right decision in doing this?"

"Wholeheartedly."

"But it could be dangerous," I whisper.

"Elle, I think that is the first time I have ever seen you fear danger," he says, smirking.

"But that's because I'm putting others at risk other than just myself," I tell him, glancing back away.

"We will be okay, Elle. Stop fretting. We are all very capable."

"But you had your head injury, Ruben. Do you really think it is safe for you?"

Irritation slips into his otherwise calm features. "I will be okay, Elle." His voice is measured as if trying to keep it together.

I give him a look. "As long as you're sure."

"Yes," he snaps.

I glare. "Alright," I say, abruptly standing up. I brush the dust from the back of my pants and begin the descent down the side of the building.

"Elle, wait!" Ruben exclaims from above me, standing and running to the stairwell.

"Meet you at the bottom!" I shout back, laughing, the thrill of the climb coursing through me. I swiftly pick my way down, determined to reach the ground before Ruben. Spurred on by the echo of his boots down the stairwell, I drop the last few steps, feet hitting the cobbles as Ruben bursts through the doors.

"You little snake," he laughs, breathing heavily. "Surely you cheated."

"Nope," I shake my head. "Only skill." I throw him a wink and then begin marching back through the streets, towards the drawbridge.

He jogs to catch up with me and slips his fingers into my own, interlocking them. It is approaching three o'clock in the morning by the time we finally make our way up the pathway to the Palace gates. The guards standing there admit us entrance as soon as they recognise that it's us. We make our way into Ruben's room, quiet and sleepy. I pull my clothes off, slipping one of Ruben's white shirts on. Ruben peels off his shirt, steps out of his jeans, and, wearing only his underwear, falls heavily into his bed, burying his face in the pillow.

"Come, Elle." He waves me over, his face still in the pillow, voice muffled.

Breathing out a laugh, I lay beside him and he pulls me closer. Laying my head on his chest, the steady beat of his heart calms my racing thoughts.

"Do you think that my father knew about Edward Mallory and the Red Movement?" Ruben whispers in the dark.

I bite my lip. "It is possible. Your father was full of secrets."

"Although perhaps he didn't. Perhaps Hatchman was simply as much of a fraud as my father was a tyrant."

"Perhaps," I murmur.

"Although I suppose that it no longer matters, does it?" Ruben continues, voices carrying in the dark. "My father is dead, his secrets likely died with him."