Confusing Times

"I don't think it's a good idea, Tony." I told him as I walked around the building.

"Miss Montenegro, please sign." One of my workers asked and I scribbled my name on the paper while picking up a folder from another employee.

"But...."

"Tony, please I'm busy. Just take your girlfriend." I muttered furrowing my eyebrows as I looked for Malcom, my assistant, through the crowd of workers.

"She said and I quote ' I don't care about this right now Tony'." He whined and I smirked.

"So I'm just a replacement?" I asked him while raising an eyebrow and I watched him panic.

"Not necessarily a replacement maybe a...."

"No can do, Tony." I shook my head at the billionaire and watched as his face grew frustrated.

"Please, Val?" He looked at me with those puppy dog eyes and I just couldn't say no

Rolling my eyes at the obnoxious man, I nodded and watched as he jumped in victory.

"Thanks, Val!" He howled, making his way back the the elevator. Great now I'm stuck in an event with snobby rich people for the night.

****
The minute I stepped out of my apartment building, reporters and paparazzi swarmed all around me asking me weird questions. I frowned and I helplessly tried moving around them slowly but it didn't work.

"Is Mister Stark cheating on Miss Potts with you?"

"Are you just after his money?"

"How do you know Tony Stark?"

"Are you a gold digger?"

My lips parted in humiliation. What the fuck are they talking about. Before I got to open my mouth, to defend myself, I felt a warm hand around my waist.

"Ignore them." He whispered in my ear. Gulping, I moved away from his touch and into his car.

****I was too busy admiring the city from the window, to notice Tony's gaze

****
I was too busy admiring the city from the window, to notice Tony's gaze. Taking a deep breath, I thought about all the questions that were asked. Is that what these people think of me?

"You gotta say something, the silence is killing me." He said in frustration while rubbing his eyes.

"Is that what everyone thinks of me?" I asked him, hoping that he would answer me honestly at least once.

"Who cares what they think?"

"I care, Tony!" I snapped. "Goddammit, is this how it's going to be?" I paused trying to calm myself. "Will I be called a gold-digger every fucking time I go out with you?"

"I...."

"You don't know." I completed for him. I couldn't help but scoff and turn my head the other way.

****

As I observed the waiters carrying trays of fancy champagne, and women elegantly dressed walking around with their heels kissing the marble floor like they own the world, I knew...I knew that I didn't belong here.

I didn't belong in these kind of events, I didn't belong in this world. Tony's world. Where everything's going to be fine just as long as you have money on you.

I sighed one last time as I grabbed another glass of champagne from one of the waiters passing by. Tony was flirting with a group of girls on the far corner of the room and I was left alone to think about how much I actually regretted saying yes.

Women were glancing at me with hate and disgust as they walked past me, yet it didn't bother me. Nothing did anymore.

"Did you get my point yet?" I turned to look at the owner of the voice and to my dismay it was Pepper.

"Can I help you Miss Potts?" I asked her professionally trying my best to be polite.

"You don't belong here, Valentina." She moaned as she sipped her champagne. "I can't help but be bothered at how close you and Tony are."

I raised an eyebrow motioning her to continue speaking.

"You know...I could easily end all this for you. How much do you need?" She asked me in a serious voice.

"Excuse me?" I manage to choke out from my shock.

"How much money do you want?"

"How fucking dare you..." I seethed and tried to keep my voice as low as possible in order to avoid making a scene.

"I don't want his fucking money, Virginia. He's my friend. Why can't you get that through your thick skull! I have a job and I'm a respected lawyer, I don't need you or anyone else for that matter to tell me what I'm worth." I snapped at her and she seemed unfazed as if she expected it.

"Enjoy it while you can because once I tell him to block you out of his life, he will do it in a heart beat."

I laughed in her face.

"Unlike you, Tony actually knows the value of friendship, and he would never do that." I scoffed.

Her smirk and her attitude showed me that she was indeed very sure of herself.

"We'll see now won't we?"

I glared daggers at her back before sighing. Grabbing my purse from the counter on the bar, I strolled through the crowds of snobby rich people and business men too engrossed in their conversations to give attention to anything else. Finally spotting him, we made eye contact and I sent him a small smile before walking out.

****

"That bloody witch!" Wanda snapped while Natasha glared at nothing in particular.

"How could she say that to you!?" Wanda paced back and forth in my room.

"Okay! I got it! We send her to Asgard and tell Thor to have her be Loki's cell mate."

The room was silent for a moment before all three of us burst out laughing.

"But seriously...how could she say that? Doesn't she care about Tony at all?" Natasha asked and I shrugged.

"I don't know girls...I just hope he knows that I care about him and his well being."

They nodded in union clearly agreeing with me.

"Alright, we're watching home alone." Wanda said running towards the living room to grab the movie.

"Again?" I called for her and I heard her scream a 'yes' before walking in the room. Nat rolled her eyes clearly annoyed that she didn't pick the movie and that we settled for something she absolutely despises.

Shooting her an apologetic smile, I turned on the tv and jumped under the covers ready to start our movie night, but what went through my mind from the moment the movie started till the moment the credits showed was Pepper's words.

'Enjoy it while you can because once I tell him to block you out of his life, he will do it in a heart beat'