John Shelby - 'WW1'

"You are one big flirt Mr Shelby" You smile; bandaging up his arm as he watches you intently.

"Never hurt anyone" He winks to you as you finish his dressing off.

"All done" You smile, taping his arm gently; standing up to put things in the bin. John puts his shirt back on and leaves it undone as he comes to you.

"Thank you Y/N" He smiles and lifts your hand up; kissing your hang gently before putting it back down gracefully.

"You're welcome" You blush; biting down on your lip as you help him do up his dirty shirt; slowly doing up the buttons. He watches you and brushes his fingertips past yours as he helps you.

"Y/N?" He calls your name as he looks down to you.

"Mhm" You hum, continuing to help him change.

"Have you ever kissed anyone before?" He asks and you blush profusely; turning a deep shade of red as you cough slightly.

"No." You whisper, walking to the sink and wash your hands slowly. The floorboards creek as he comes closer to you; resting his hands on your shoulders - exposing your neck slightly as he brushes your hair back.

"Would you want me to kiss you?" He asks; sweetly talking in your ear, which makes you shiver from his brief touch.

You turn to face him, his body right up against you. Putting your hands on his chest, he places his on the wall behind you and pushing the both of you to the wall. Biting down on your lip, you nod your head slowly at him.

"Yes" You whisper in reply; earning his lips on yours as you melt in his arms. The two of you make sparks fly as you kiss passionately to one another - a genuine connection between the two of you.

You both indulge yourself in a passion of love; forgetting about what was going on in the world. In that moment, you realised nothing else mattered and that you had so many feelings for John that you could not ignore.

"I am in love with you" You whisper in his ear as he olds you close to him.

"I am in love with you too beautiful." He smiles back to you, kissing the top of your nose gently.

*

The war had ended, finally. John had been moved a good few months before the war ended and you had not heard from him at all. You did not know what to do. I mean, it did not help that you were with child too - his child for that matter. It put you in a tricky situation of uncertainty of what could be best for you and your child.

"He lives in Small Heath" One of Johns mates informed you. He was one who had to stay in the camp you were in, while John was made to move on. "I can take you there."

"Thank you" You smile to him, his name was Ben, a lovely man. "I really appreciate it Ben."

"You are more than welcome" He smiles, helping you into the train - off to Birmingham from Dover.

"It is going to be a long journey" You sighed and Ben got comfy opposite you, falling asleep against the window. "Please Lord God, make sure my John has come home safe."

You kissed the ring that hung around your neck on a shoelace you found in the trenches; the ring being Johns that he gave to you for protection and remembrance.

"Please" You whispered once more before you fell into a deep sleep; knowing the journey would take up the whole day.

As the train finally arrived in Birmingham over 8 hours later, you woke up and got your belongings; waking up Ben to get off the train too. You both walked off and squeezed through the crowds of people that awaited to see their family members and the people they love the most in the world.

"This way" Ben gripped your arm as he pulled you through the people, making sure you did not get lost at all. "We need to get a taxi to Small Heath."

You both got into the empty car as soon as you put you stuff in the boot. The man whizzed off and shortly later you arrived in Small Heath.

"Welcome to the town" He smiles as he helps you out; holding your things for you.

"Thank you for your help Ben" You grin and suddenly get all nervous. "I really appreciate it"

"You are welcome" He grins back to you and nods his head to follow him; eventually getting to a big house on the outskirts of the town.

"Maybe you should surprise him?" He suggests to you as you get to the front of the house.

You nod your head and hide behind the side of the house; looking at Ben as he knocks on the door. Your heart beats so fast as you breathe heavily; so nervous to see John.

"John!" He smiles as the door opens.

"Ben my man" He laughs as they envelope in a hug. "How are you? God you look like you need some food!"

"I'm starving" Ben laughs in return and you bite down on your lip; shaking even more.

"Come in" He offers and Ben turns his head to you.

"I brought you a surprise" Ben smiles to him and nods for you to come out. Slowly you walk out of the hiding space; making yourself known by the two people in front of you.

John looks to you in shock as he steps closer to you; putting a hand on your cheek and cupping it gently.

"Y/N?" He breathes out and you nod your head; letting a tear slip from your cheek as you look up to him.

"Yes John" You smile gently, sniffing slightly as you wipe the tears away.

"Fuck, i am so glad you are here" He grins; picking up and spinning you around as you giggle at him.

He puts you down and presses his lips on yours, making up for lost time...