ONE

CHAPTER ONE
( FAVORITE BEANIE )

CHAPTER ONE( FAVORITE BEANIE )

January 2016

"I'M GONNA FREEZE MY dick off out here," Marty complained as he hopped up and down, arms crossed tight over his chest. He was more or less talking to himself, though, because Nick was out in the field kicking the ball around with some teammates, and the other teammates who were sitting out for the rest of the practice were huddled together for warmth on the bench.

The other other boy was dressed warmer, too, so Marty doubted Nick would be complaining with him; Nick had a heavier jacket, a beanie, and compression pants on underneath the soccer shorts, so he was warmer than his best friend who had been dumb enough not to do the same. The cold weather of January matched with wind made the long sleeved shirts and loose pants over Marty's soccer uniform feel like nothing.

Marty watched as Nick kicked the soccer ball into the goal over and over again. Each time, the guys with the neon yellow jerseys over their team jackets failed to block the shot, and the goalie fell into the cold dirt each time, too. It was no doubt the young freshman was the best on the team. To everyone else it was shocking. A freshman being better than the seniors who've been on the team for a longer time? Impossible. But Marty knew it wasn't. Nick's parents taught him soccer from the age of three; he joined soccer teams outside of Midtown and his talent grew. Still, though, that doesn't mean Nick never messes up – because he does.

Nick Berry is a clumsy fuck who trips over thin air. It makes his parents, Anita, Marty, and some classmates wonder how he was even on the soccer team sometimes.

Marty winced as Nick turned around after kicking the ball in the goal, only to have his feet trip over one another and fall face first into the dirt. He heard the goalie yell, "Yes, that how it feels," but Nicky ignored the boy as he pushed himself back up on his feet. He fixed the black beanie on his head as the couch yelled out that practice over. The couch then yelled out to whoever he needed talk to after reminding everyone about the Conference Game against another team that was rumored to be way better than Midtown. It was a prep school, filled with kids that seemed much snobbier yet equally focused on their grades as Midtown High School.

Nick grimaced at the mention of Spring Central, and jogged over to Marty after being asked if his face was okay from one of the older guys. Marty snatched Nick's beanie off instantly and put it on his own head before ruffling up Nick's mess of curls.

"Way to go, man! You were the best out there as usual," he complimented.

Nick just shrugged, grabbing their bags from the bench. He handed Marty his, and held tightly onto his own. Together, they started walking towards the main building. "I missed a few goals, Marty," Nick reminded him. "If that's my best then how are we gonna beat SC?"

"Bye Berry, Milton!" Couch Hex said as they passed by.

The two 14 year olds smiled and mumbled their goodbyes to the man. After, Marty then said, "Okay, listen, beating them as freshmen would be the best shit. But, dude, that might not happen. The seniors are sucky and the few juniors and sophomores think its impossible to do so. Besides, we can loose one Conference Game and still be able to go to State. Not going to the locker room?"