Baby Blues

Emma's POV

"I don't want a birthday party," I said to him as we attended to the children.

"Baby why?"

"Because I don't want a bunch of people meeting the twins at just a week old. I want to just have dinner here with the staff and Nana."

"Okay."

"Ethan, you're going to spoil Evan if you keep raising him every time he cries for affection." I watched as my soon-to-be husband took the baby boy out of the crib and placed him against his hard chest. 

Evan stopped cried and began to smile in the arms of his father. He was already spoiled by Ethan and it amazed me how much he was attached to him instantly, like he had been waiting to meet his dad.

"I love him and he smells so nice," he said sniffing him, which made me laugh. 

I picked up Emily and cuddled her in my arms. She was more attached to me than Evan. Evan only wanted my milk but longed for his father's time and attention. I didn't know what I'd do when Ethan went  back to work and Evan realized he was gone.

I dreaded today because Ethan was leaving to go back to the office. 

He kissed the children and gave me a long sweet one before going out the door. 

I watched them slept soundly. 

Thank goodness they haven't woken up yet. 

I took a bath and began to read a book. At the eighth chapter, I heard small cooing noises, but no cries. Emily was awake but Evan was still fast asleep. I picked her up so she wouldn't start crying and wake him. 

I laid her on the bed and changed her pampers and her clothes, remembering when I was taking classes on how to raise a baby. 

Seven months ago Ethan had organized for me to attend a baby class to learn how to care for a baby-- or babies-- in the correct way. They taught how to hold them, bath them, dress them, brush their hair, nurse them, show them affection, lay them down after nursing, make them burp, even if they fell asleep, what you should wear to have easier access for breast feeding, what not to use on your skin, and what to do when they started growing up.

It was a wonderful experience, very informative and well taught. I learned everything I needed to know. I made new friends with expecting mothers who promised they'd drop by after their deliveries. 

I laid Emily against my chest and began to read softly. Evan woke up and began crying immediately. Emily heard his cry and began crying too. I laid her on the bed and picked up Evan. I changed his clothes and diaper and placed him next to his sister. They looked up at me with wet eyes but had stopped crying.

"Hi babies," I said in a childish voice, hoping they wouldn't break into another cry. 

Emily smiled; Evan remain straight faced as if he were judging me because I was not his father. 

I looked at the wall clock: 7:00 am. The nanny was expected to be here any minute to assist with the kids. Ethan hired a nanny because he knew I wouldn't be able to handle the two without any help. 

Evan stirred to cry again, but Emily was smiling at my funny faces which made Evan stop and began smiling too. I was relieved when they weren't crying, just making cooing noises to each other and watching me read. They were so adorable. Two bundles of joy.

A knock came on the door. I opened it and my nanny walked in.

"Good morning Mrs. Hollen."

"Hi. They're not riled up yet and I think I can manage for now. So why don't you head down to breakfast and I'll call you when I need you?"

"Of course, Mrs. Hollen."

The nanny lived in the chambers and assisted with the housework when I didn't need her. 

The twins were only three days old and slept most of the time. They only woke when there was a noise, it was feeding time, or they wanted affection. 

I went back to them on the bed and they smiled at me. 

I continued like that for the rest of the morning, but midday Evan was in a crying frenzy. He wouldn't take my breast or a bottle or want my affection. The nanny tried as well but he just wasn't calming down for anything.

"Is something wrong with him?" Halley asked, peering through the door when she heard him screaming all the way from downstairs.

"He just won't stop crying. I don't know what to do,"  I answered in tears because I was tired of hearing him cry and scream. 

He became breathless so I called in the doctor and brought him downstairs to the medical room. I even called Ethan home.

"We don't see anything wrong with him. He's breathless because he's crying too much," the doctor informed.

"Well, I can't get him to stop crying. He won't nurse and he won't take a bottle. I bathed him, changed him, cuddled him, but he just won't stop." I was still crying because his cries were making me sad as well.

"Baby, I'm here. What's wrong with my son?" Ethan said from behind me and took Evan in his arms. "Shh now, daddy's here, daddy's got you. I'm here," he said, bouncing him gently against his hard chest. 

Evan looked up at him and stopped crying. What was it with this child and his father? Ethan was the only one who could get him to stop crying.

"You were crying too, baby?" he asked, wiping my tears.

"Yes because he wouldn't stop crying."

"I'll have my COO take over for the rest of the day and I'll stay at home."

He took me and Evan upstairs and Emily lit up more when she saw him. They really had a special bond with their father and I felt like I was failing as a mother.

"Baby, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said and took Emily from the nanny. 

She greeted Ethan then left the room. 

I turned off the central air and opened the windows and screens to let in the fresh air and sunlight. Evan was smiling at the wind blowing the curtains inward. 

We walked out to the patio with the children in our arms.

"Sorry I disturbed you from work."

"Baby, I would drop everything and come home to you and the babies and you know that."

"Thanks for being the perfect man."

"I'm not perfect. I just try to be."

"Well, you're doing a good job at it."

He leaned in and kissed my lips and the babies started laughing. We looked at them and laughed too. It seemed like they always wanted to see me and Ethan together.  

Evan and Emily nursed and fell asleep eventually.

Nana would be meeting them for the first time tomorrow at our birthday dinner.