TWO

CHAPTER TWO
( SLEEP DEPRIVATION AND BLACKMAIL )

NICK DIDN'T FALL ASLEEP until five in the morning because he forgot about a short essay about global warming that was due

NICK DIDN'T FALL ASLEEP until five in the morning because he forgot about a short essay about global warming that was due. He remembered the assignment right before he fell asleep and forced himself to stay up until he finished the hard than it should have been two page essay. Most of it, though, he just bullshitted it until he got to the end of the second page at 4:56 am. So naturally, he had made his dad stop by Starbucks on their way to the high school, got himself the largest cup of a caramel macchiato they had, and downed half of it by the time he got to his locker. Anita was standing by his locker by the time he got there, doing something on her phone. Nick just leaned his head against the cool, blue metal of the locker once he got there and let out a tired groan.

Anita reached out and patted his head gently. "What time did you go to bed?"

"Five."

"Idiot."

Nick rolled his eyes and stood straight, and frowned as he looked over Anita. She was taller than him for once, which he realized was because of a pair of high heels as he looked down. The freckled boy's tired expression turned slightly annoyed as he looked back up at Anita. "Why d'ya gotta wear heels?" He asked, almost in a whine. They were, on the days when she didn't wear heels, the same height at 5'6". The two always argued who was taller, when it reality neither of them were.

Anita chuckled as she said, "Just wanted to feel cuter than usual, is all." She took the coffee that was handed to her as Nick unlocked the locker, and then put up whatever books he didn't need for the first few classes he had.

As they stood in silence, a few students passed by and shouted good luck to Nick for the game that was still a good week away. Anita glanced at Nick carefully, and watched as his shoulders tensed slightly. There was no denying the fact that the boy got nervous about the soccer games. And because he'd never thought the team would get as far as they had, he's extra nervous. So, Anita did the only thing she knew what to do.

"Hey, shits, shut up," she frowned at the next people who tried to give him good luck. Her voice was stern and loud. "You saying that he'll need the luck doesn't help with nerves. Just shut it!"

Nick turned his head to the small group who had stopped by. He gave a small smile, "Thanks anyway," he muttered. "Its the thought that counts. Right, Ani?"

Anita sighed and hesitantly nodded. The group then left without another word. "I just don't like seeing you so anxious about a game that's a week away," she eventually said.

He took back his coffee. "It's just because its Spring Central, don't worry."

"Oh, game talk, what fun!" Marty shouted semi-sarcastically as he walked up. He slung an arm around Anita's and Nick's shoulders, giving them both a large grin. Nick swiftly ducked under the taller boy's arm and stepped back; he was sleep deprived and didn't want much human contact, even if that person was Marty 'Clingy' Milton. Anita, though, stayed put and laughed at Marty's slightly offended face.