17. Everything is Bigger in Texas

I unwrapped the thick towels around me as I was slightly shocked at the air not being too cold

The night began to take over as darkness loomed over the sky. Luckily enough, piercing moonlight reflected off of the gorgeous black lake, offering us some light.

Jesse's muscular arms flexed as he rowed the boat with ease. "Micah." He let out my name smoothly.

"Ya?"

"Do you like scary movies?"

"Hm." I took a quick pause. I quickly shook my head. "Not really. I've always been easily scared as a kid, and I still am." I sighed, never getting used to his random questions that came out of nowhere. "Why?"

Jesse all of a sudden stopped paddling and his smile diminished, his eyes freakishly stabbing at me, causing me to tense back away. "Because I'm about to kill you." His voice was monotone.

My eyes immediately widened. "Wha-Jesse." My voice cracked.

He all of a sudden cracked out a loud laugh. "You're right, you are easily scared."

"Don't do that!" I nervously let out. "Are you into horror or something?"

"Favorite genre." He adorably smirked, only the sounds of his rowing filled our ears. "I used to watch it all the time with my dad before I got kicked out." His sharp jawline clenched.

I sheepishly spoke again, not being able to contain my curiosity. "Kicked out?"

Jesse slowly nodded as he licked his lips. "After my mom died, my dad didn't get the concept of me being bisexual. He thought I just made it up so I can hide me being gay." He quickly stopped rowing. "He thinks that only gay people exist." He let out a deep tired laugh.

I replied quietly. "I'm really sorry about your loss and you having to deal with that. There's nothing worse than having a parent who doesn't understand." He remained quiet as I spoke again. "Who are you with now?"

"Aunt." He answered blankly. "She's the only one in the family who understands me. She signed me up for this camp and so I flew here."

"Flew? Where are you from?" I asked with a subtly raised brow.

"Italy." He answered, his blue eyes shimmering at me as I felt my breath start to hitch. "My mom is African American and my dad is Italian. What about you?"

The canoe slowly moved by itself as I sat comfortably against the edge, my eyes glancing at myself on the black reflective water. "My mom is from Texas. She gave birth to me there before coming here to Amphitrite. My dad, well." I took a deep breath before answering, trying to collect my thoughts to answer. "My dad is also from Texas but he left before I was born."