Chapter 1

Chapter 1

-kindly put your playlist here-

Emily's pov.

I grabbed the suitcase with trembling hands.

The only thought in my head was that I have to be quick as I ignored the growing tightness in my chest which refused to let me take a full breath.

"It's gonna be alright." I whispered to myself again thinking that maybe if I say it enough times, I might start to believe it.

I put all the necessary items into the suitcase quickly. After changing my clothes, I grabbed my handbag which already had everything I'd need.

Then I made my way to his room.

I went through his closet praying silently to find anything of value but had no luck. I checked the bedside drawers but had no luck there either.

It took everything in me to not scream out loud in frustration.

Then I looked through his jeans which I found on the bathroom floor and found a few rumpled hundred dollar bills in the pockets.

I breathed a sigh of relief. The ball of anxiety in my chest loosened just a little.

This along with the little money that I had managed to save up would be enough for me to leave this place. Finally.

I tucked all the new found money in my bag and grabbed all of my things. With my heart racing and hands shaking I unlocked the front door.

I had to walk a few miles to find a cab. I was wearing an old cap which I had found in my closet so as to hide my face. I hope I didn't look as sketchy as I felt.

It felt like I breathed for the first time in a very long while after getting into the cab. The relief was so palpable that I suddenly felt dizzy.

I ran away.

I was free now.

Almost.

My heart was still in my throat. The thought of him finding me crossed my mind and left me with more anxiety than I could deal with at the moment.

No. He won't. I reassured myself. I looked back and felt relieved when I didn't see any trace of him. The paranoia was running  so deep in my veins that I could cry.

How could he follow me when he was out with his friends, probably drunk out of his mind. I reminded myself.

My thoughts drifted to the first and the last time I tried to escape and what followed after he caught me. A shiver ran down my spine when I thought of that night.

To say the ride to the airport was painful would be an understatement but I made it through.

As I made my way inside I started remembering the last time I was here. That time was so different from this one. It was when my parents had still been alive.

God, I missed them so much.

Their faces flashed in my mind and suddenly I felt like loneliest person in the world.

I probably was.

I had booked the ticket online and went to the service counter to get my boarding pass. The flight was an hour and half from now.

My leg was bouncing as I sat waiting in the waiting lounge. My heart was beating really fast and as the time passed by, it was getting more and more difficult for me to breathe. I tried to calm myself but nothing seemed to work and I knew nothing would. Not until I reached my destination.