Chapter 38: Sydney

Sydney sat beside Reid, keeping her gaze out the window as Casey steered the horse and wagon back to his house. Her mind pondered what they could possibly need her for, moments after sending her away; more specifically, why did Casey need her?

Moments ago, he didn't want to see me again, and now he's bringing me back? Why?

Waiting for them outside of Casey's home was a group of villagers who wore the same look on each of their faces; the look of loss. In front of the small crowd stood Charlie, a bag on his back and a large knife in his hand.

Sydney tensed up at the sight of them.

"Don't worry," Reid whispered, grabbing her hand and offering her a reassuring smile.

She nodded her head, but kept her eyes on the widower before her, the man whose eyes bore so much hatred. Despite his larger size and build, Sydney wasn't intimidated by him; she could tell by the way he held the weapon that he was not skilled in combat. She was worried, however, that an angry mob of people might try to ambush her in a blind need for vengeance.

As Sydney exited the wagon, she listened to the way Casey began to speak with such authority.

"Listen up, everybody!" he shouted. "This is Sydney, she's a...an acquaintance of mine, and she's here to help!"

"How's a little thing like her going to help us kill the monsters that took our women!?" a man yelled from the back of the pack.

Slowly more men joined in, mocking the idea of a woman being of use to them on their mission.

"All she'll do is slow us down!"

"She'd just end up getting herself taken by those eastern pigs!"

Sydney mentally scoffed at the way men were so quick to assume she wasn't able to aid them in battle. She was certain she was more capable than half of the males there, however the few women in the crowd didn't seem to disagree with them.

"She's more of an asset than you all realize," Casey continued, mainly addressing the man responsible for the first outburst. "And she's got something none of us possess."

By now, the crowd was silent, all eyes on Sydney as they waited to hear what Casey would say next; she waited as well, intrigued to know what he would say about her. Among the crowd, one pair of eyes stood out to Sydney, drawing her in like a vortex. Charlie's. She remembered Casey mentioning Bonnie, and how she was killed in the raid. Her heart went out to him, only able to imagine the grief he was going through.

"And what is that?" Charlie asked, his mouth barely moving as his face likened to stone.

"Eastern blood."

"That's nothing new," Charlie spat, his eyes now darting to Casey. "Many of us have their blood on our hands as well."

"Yes, but none of us have it pumping through our veins," Casey said calmly. "She does."

Sydney gripped her bag that still carried her pistols and took a step back when the faces of the villagers were filled with such disdain, their eyes burning with accusing disgust. She wasn't prepared for him to out her to so many people at one time.

This is not good.

"Hold on!" A young man with dirty blonde, shoulder-length hair pushed forward, now standing beside Charlie. "You brought one of them to us?!" he shouted, his expression disbelieving.

"We need her," Casey simply stated.

"Need her?! The only thing I'd say she's good for is bending over and laying on her back. She'd be lucky to live another day after I had my way with-"