Chapter 7: Frost Giants

"Many human beings say that they enjoy the winter, but what they really enjoy is feeling proof against it." -Richard Adams

***

Any italics in this chapter will be flashbacks.

"We gotta hurry! Fury said they have a lead!" Steve shouts as he vigorously presses the down button on the elevator.

"Shouldn't we get Harley?" Bucky suggests.

Steve stops pressing the button and inhales sharply. "Oh yeah...but I really want to..."

Bucky laughs slightly. "You go ahead. I'll get her."

"You're the best." The doors open and Steve runs inside as Bucky takes the stairs one flight up to Harley's apartment.

Just as he's about to knock on her door, he smells the faint smell of burning fabric. Opening the door, he sees Harley sitting on the floor in front of the entryway while a smoking pile of plush lies on the floor.

"Um..."

Harley looks up at him sadly. "I was trying to make your doll, but a stitch wouldn't go through, and I got frustrated and I just..."

Bucky bends and picks up the disfigured doll with his metal arm so he wouldn't get burned. "It's okay," he says. "It's kind of cute."

"Don't worry. I'll make you another, and this time I won't set it on fire," she promises, getting up off the floor and discarding the burned doll.

Bucky pulls her into a hug and kisses her forehead. "Good morning. I'd hate to distract you from your project, but we have a lead."

***

"What does it say?" S.H.I.E.L.D. officers had found an inscription on one of the table legs during the inspection yesterday, and they brought it to S.H.I.E.L.D. for translation and a closer look.

"It's Asgardian," Fury responds. "Thor was here yesterday night to translate. It says, 'I am burdened with glorious purpose'."

"Reindeer games," Tony mutters. "I guess Thor was right about him."

"That's why Thor has gone to fetch him," Fury says. "We need to question him about this."

Harley has never met Loki, but she knows from what they've said about him that he will not be cooperative.

"When will they get here?" Bucky asks.

"Right now," Fury says as the rainbow light of the Bifrost appears in a corner. Loki comes stumbling out first, handcuffed around the wrists and neck. Thor follows with his hammer.

"Have a seat," Fury says, and Thor pushes Loki into one of the chairs.

"What is the meaning of this?" he hisses. "I have done nothing."

Fury and Steve chuckle. "Yeah, right. Then how do you explain this?" Fury slides the broken table leg across the desk to him. "I distinctly remember you saying that."

"Just because that is one of my more famous quotes does not mean I am responsible," Loki says. "Have you ever heard of a set up?"

"We know a set up when we see one," Steve says.

Loki looks to Steve and sees Bucky beside him. "Ah, the Winter Soldier. I admire your work--very destructive." He smiles wickedly as Bucky frowns. "Who's your friend?"

"Harley Conrose," Thor says for him. "She's new."

Loki, seemingly forgetting why he's really on Midguard, leans forward and rests his elbows on the table, looking at Harley curiously. "What is it you can do, dear?"