Seven

A/N: I know I haven't updated in forever, but I think I'm finally getting the hang of this story again. All of you inspire me to write, and I really want to update more frequently for you. Please, tell me your opinions about the story so far, and let me know what you'd like to see happen (I might even just include it!). 

Like always, READ. COMMENT. VOTE. ENJOY. :D

                                                         Chapter Seven

                                                               • Isaac •

The world seems to tilt on its axel; the soundtrack to an apocalypse is the shrieking of rusty door hinges. Despite the fact that I’m extremely careful about making no sound― save for breathing― Derek’s hearing is sharper than my ability to sneak around.

            “Where the hell have you been?” He resembles a worried parent, perfectly placed at the top of the stairs, arms crossed over his chest; then again, I’ve found that it’s hard to tell when a worried parent is being sincere.

            I scramble for words, penetrated by a crimson stare and slow, laden footsteps. “We, uh, that body in the woods… Scott… I, um, felt they should know about what we found.”

            He is silent for a minute, pacing absently; it’s eerie how much he can mirror Peter, lingering in a calm, dangerous quiet. The kind of calm after the birds stop chirping and right before a storm. “I told you to keep them out of this.”

            “They have a right to know what’s going on. About the markings and the murders and the fact that the alpha pack could still be here.” My hands are clenched by my sides, my entire body screaming with tension.

            Derek continues on as if I had never even spoken, his words lacking varied pitch. “I told you not to leave the house alone.”

            “What are you― my dad?” A shudder courses through me involuntarily. “You can’t keep me trapped here. When you turned me, you promised me freedom. But lately, I don’t feel so free.”

            “Dammit, Isaac!” He slams his hand down, the rail of the staircase splintering. A flicker of cold fear rises in me, a flash of knowing what’s going to happen next: a palm across my face, glass shattering. But Derek is not my father, and he composes himself before he speaks. “You can’t be free if you’re dead.”

            That stops me cold, words frozen in my throat. “W-what are you talking about?”

            He lets out a sigh, a shaky sound that sets me on edge. It makes Derek seem as though he’s lived through multiple lifetimes and experienced countless horrors. I used to think he wasn’t so much older than me, but now I’m not so sure. “Please just promise that you’ll listen to me from now on and stay in the house.” His voice is resigned.

            And just like that, anger courses through me like a tidalwave― a tsunami that annihilates everything Derek has worked so hard to build. Alpha or not, he is not in control of me. My voice is fire, flames through gritted teeth. “You cannot tell me what to do.”

            All of a sudden, his fangs snap out, eyes ominous. “You’re not listening!” he roars, white fury lacing his blood. “You think I’m keeping this house on lockdown because I want to? If you’ve learned anything, you should know that bad things always happen to people who don’t recognize that they’re in danger. Those claw marks― we’re being watched, Isaac. You need to stay safe, or else you’ll end up like Erica and Boyd.” He sounds defeated; this is a side of Derek I’ve never seen before. One that is clearly thinking I can’t lose anyone else. And I realize, with a shock, that something is really bad― Derek is afraid.