Chapter 4

When her parents weren't looking, Lai decided to search Sophiemai Foster's old shelves for treasures. Something in her protested, but Sophiemai was dead. Long dead. The first thing Lai grabbed was a white binder-thing. She pulled it out and found a book, with funny pictures. A photo album! She flipped to the first page, and found a picture of a young girl with blond hair and brown eyes. Brown? Lai shook her head. Sophiemai must have been wearing eye contacts. Her mom sometimes did that, to make her ice-blue eyes look darker blue. No elf had brown eyes. The next picture was the same girl, maybe a bit younger, building a sand castle of Eternalia. In front of her stood a woman, a bald man, and an even younger girl. Lai shook her head again and laughed. Dressing like humans! Classic. Classic. The 3rd picture was of Sophiemai and 6 others. They stood in a line, arms linked. They were laughing. 

A boy with red-blonde hair and periwinkle eyes, then a boy with black hair and silver tips protectively clutching a girl who looked to be his sister. Both had blue-silver eyes. A boy with brown hair and teal eyes came next. Sophiemai, and a boy hanging off her shoulder, smirking. He had blonde hair and icy eyes. Finally, a girl- half invisible,  also with brown hair and teal eyes. An arrow pointed to Sophiemai, and said, Sophie Foster, our best friend, in neat runes. Sophie? That must have been her nickname. Lai placed the book back sadly. What were those other Elves names? But why does it matter? They all are dead. 

"Hey mom?" Lai called. 

"Yes?" 

"How did Sophiemai and her friends die?"

"A-a-a fi-ire." 

"All of them? Didn't she have 6 friends?" Immediately she regretted saying anything. Her mom whirled on her.

"How do you know about her friends?" She demanded.

"u-u-h.... A book. In my room." Lai lied. 

She muttered something about not getting them all, then turned away. 

Lai turned back  to the shelves and spotted a small ball. She picked it up and gasped. It was a spyball. A. Real. Spyball. She couldn't help but toss it in her bag. Then her and her mom left for home, deciding to return tomorrow. Lai looked back at the house and thought, well, I just officially stole from my dead grandma.