Chapter one

**Annalise in the media, played by Loren Grey**

ANNALISE POV

"Beats of eight ladies!" My cheer captain, Jessica, yelled out to us.

Practice was just about to end, but she always wanted to run over.

"C'mon Jess! We were supposed to leave ten minutes ago. Can't we just work on this shit tomorrow?" My best, and only friend Carmen,  yelled out in complaint.

She was the polar opposite of me, with Raven black hair that was dyed an electric blue at the tips. Her personality was just as spunky as her hair, it reflected her well.

"Alright, alright. Meet back here at the same time next week." Jessica finally dismisses us.

I flash a grateful smile to Carmen as I packed up my pompom's and water bottle.

"Wanna get something to eat with me before heading home? Pretty sure my moms cooking, so I don't want to be there for that." Carmen fake gags while grabbing her bag and helping me stand as well.

I laugh lightly at her insult to her mother's cooking.

"I can't, mom and dad have some news for us apparently. I was told to come straight home. Rain check?" I explained to her.

"Duh." She said with a smile and an eye roll before continuing,"See you tomorrow!"

I mumble a bye and make my way out to the parking lot where my mom waits in the car. I hurry to put the bag in the back of the seat and then make my way back to the front.

"How was practice?" She asks me while backing out of the school gates.

"It was fine." I vaguely answer as I scroll through my notifications I had received while at practice.

"Listen Anna, your father and I need to talk to you about something once we're home. Straight into the shower and then downstairs to the dinner table please." Her tone was serious as she instructed me on what to do.

I nodded at her and then continued to stare out the window as we pulled up to the gated community in which we lived in.

We pull into our driveway and I hop out of the car, eager to get a shower and hear what my parents had to say.

"Hey pumpkin." My dad greets me as I walk through the door.

"Hey." I smile at him in return.

"I thought I said to shower." My mom ends the conversation early as she lets out a sigh and shuts the door behind her.

"It can wait, she's not that sweaty anyways. I want to talk to her first, we need to break the news fairly quick." My dad catches my attention with his words.

Break what news? Is it bad?

"What news?" I voiced my thoughts as I look up at them confused.

"Take a seat Annalise." My Mom sighs out once more and leads me to the couch.

"Your mother and I have decided to spend the summer away." My dad starts out.

Okay? They travel lots, I'm used to staying home alone. What's different now?

"And we've decided you'll spend the summer with us this time." My mom finishes for him.

"Wait what? Why?" I scrunch up my nose in confusion.

"We think it'll be good for us to spend some family time together. I know you and Carmen had plans to go on that cruise, but you'll have to cancel." My dad explains.