8 - SHAKY START

"NO WAY, YOU HAVE A KID?"

Tony sighed as Nicky sat up in his seat, eyes wide and notepad falling to the ground in his jolt, his mouth wide open as he gawked at the older man. Tony just ran a hand through his hair and let the twenty-six year old process everything.

"Wait, okay, backtrack, you're not sure if it's your kid," Nicky said, making a quick motion with his hands, "But you're willing to try because you remember this woman from all those years ago even though you can't remember how many people you've slept with in total?"

Tony shrugged. "We didn't sleep at my penthouse, it was New Year's Eve, and I have never met another person who went by Birdie, I would have made a lot of jokes if we knew each other longer."

Nicky laughed softly, nodding. "Well, that's good, I'm glad you're doing this, you seem to be set. And you're starting to pull back to your past, which is what we did want to focus on, relieving the guilt, all that good stuff."

"I feel as though you have a schedule you want me to be set on, but we keep veering from it," Tony said, feeling a need to change the topic at the mention of guilt.

"Well...yes and no," Nicky said, tilting his head from side to side, "You're paying for these sessions, so we can talk about whatever it is you want to talk about. Us going through your childhood is mainly just for me to get a better understanding of you and your history, but this is the present, so if there are more pressing issues, I'd like for you to tell me. But if you don't want to, that's always okay."

Tony licked his lips, glancing around the room. "Are you seeing anyone, Nick?"

Nicky blinked, shifting in his seat, clearing his throat. "Um, you just told me that you're reconnecting with a woman whom you might have had a child with, and now you're asking me this—"

"I'm not—no, just shh," Tony said, making a closing motion with his hand, "I'm asking because you're young and I'm going to live vicariously through you for a bit, okay?"

Nicky sighed, his smile strained. "Peter is doing fine, Tony, he comes over sometimes with his girlfriend, he still never shuts up about you. I'm still making tools and stuff, thankfully they're cutting back on weapons designs, and I'm still getting paid. I am currently not seeing anyone. Are we done with my recap."

Tony pursed his lips to the side. "Eh, I give that an four out of ten, nothing exciting happened and it was pretty dull."

Nicky scoffed. "Gee, thanks. Sorry we can't all be rich and famous and possibly owe a shit ton of child support."

Tony groaned. "Don't be me, kid. I know you look up to me, who can blame you, but live your own life, don't make the same mistakes."

The psychologist laughed, rubbing his eyes. "I'm the Walmart to your Gucci, I don't have the kind of quality to make the same mistakes you did. Now, tell me more about your BUDDY AI's, I've never tried one out."

"It's adapted incredibly well," Tony exclaimed, throwing up an arm, "Like, unbelievably so, to the point of even being FRIDAY or JARVIS," his voice caught ever so slightly at the mention of his old AI, something Nicky decided not to point out.

The man cleared his throat and continued, "Point is, it's incredibly advanced, but there's no way I can take it seriously because he has it on the Australian setting."

Nicky choked slightly, grinning. Tony splayed out his palms as if to show his point, leaning back in his seat and closing his eyes. While he did enjoy his time with Nicky—the man had quickly risen on his list of favorite people—he had felt particularly drained.

"Rhodey doing alright?" Nicky asked suddenly, and Tony's eyes shot open.

"Uh, he's good, he's resting up. Yeah, he's staying with the rest of us at the facility, but right now he's with family." He nodded to himself, leaning forward with his hands clasped in front of him. "You know, Birdie mentioned Pepper."