Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

Chapter Four

I crept around to the back of the house and slid in through the kitchen door. It was quiet. I heard the muffled roar of the TV coming from the direction of the living room. With any luck Dad would be passed out by now and I'd get upstairs without notice. Mom had made herself scarce so it must have been a pretty bad fight. I looked in the trash can and winced. Grandma's crystal vase lay in shattered ruins. It was Mom's most prized possession.

I grabbed myself a Coke and a Lunchable from the fridge. I had a ton of homework to do and I needed to figure out what to wear to school tomorrow. Ethan said we'd go eat right after school. I still couldn't believe he'd asked me out on a date. Just...wow. I figured I'd have to do some unobtrusive hinting first, but no, he'd shocked me, and asked me out.

"Where the hell have you been?"

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before turning around. Dad stood in the doorway, a beer gripped in his hand. His golden eyes were bloodshot and he looked furious. Not a good sign.

"I had some stuff to do."

His eyes narrowed and he stepped closer. "Did you go to the hall, CJ?"

"No."

"Then where were you?"x

"I went to visit Emily." I reopened the fridge. "I'm gonna make a sandwich. Do you want one?"

I replaced the Lunchable and started pulling out everything I needed. Just keep him talking, I told myself.

He grunted and sat down at the table. I peeked at him from the corner of my eye. He frowned and ran a hand through his reddish brown hair, his eyes suspicious.

"You're sure you didn't go to the meeting tonight?" he asked, his voice hard.

"No, Dad, I never go, same as you."

I slathered the sub buns with mayonnaise and piled on our favorite fixings. "Is NC State or LSU winning?"

"LSU," he said in disgust. "Seven to nothing. Damn fine coach they got themselves."

I nodded and set his plate down in front of him. "I need to do some homework. Is there anything else you need? A Coke or some water?"

"Get me another beer."

I cringed. He so did not need another beer, but I knew better than to argue with him. I took one out of the fridge and handed it over. Hauling up my bookbag, I started to get my own food when he stopped me.

"Sit down, CJ. I want to talk to you."

I eyed the doorway and contemplated escape. Instead, I picked up my plate and sat down across from him. I took a bite of the turkey sandwich and waited. He seemed uneasy. He was drunk, but it was more than that. He looked almost...afraid. Nervous eyes scanned the room and he drummed the fingertips of one hand on the table. His other hand shook as he took a drink.

"Do you go see Emily a lot?"

I swallowed hard. I hadn't expected that.

"I do," he continued. "At least once a day."

"I didn't know that," I whispered. Maybe he wasn't as drunk as I thought.

"I lost her, CJ. I can't lose you too."

"You're not going to lose me, Dad. Why would you think that?"

"You're almost eighteen," he said. "They'll be pestering you to start coming to the meetings soon. You can't go."

"Why would they..."

"You're almost eighteen," he interrupted. "Don't go near them."

"Why does it matter how old I am?" I asked, confused. "They always pester me to go and I don't. It's all just a bunch of nonsense."