Chapter Thirty-Seven

I sniffle a little while I zip up my suitcase. I take one last glance out the window, getting sadder by the second. I keep telling myself to stop and that I'm doing the right thing. But somehow, nothing feels right.

I set my suitcase on the ground and set it over by the front door. I walk back in the bedroom to check to see if I left anything, but find nothing of mine. Instead, I find Alexander's black hoodie sitting folded on my dresser. I pick it up and debate whether I should take it or not, then decide I should and pull it on.

I walk back in the kitchen and read Alexander's note one more time. He had to leave to film a bunch of battle scenes somewhere off set today and I didn't get to tell him goodbye.

I glance at the clock and notice I only have 5 minutes until the taxi arrives to take me to the airport. I shove Alexander's note in my hoodie pocket and find another piece of paper. Then, I take a pen and scribble to make sure it works.

I take a deep breath as I begin to write the note. I only get the first word in before a tear trickles down my cheek.

I slam the pen down and lean against the counter, sliding down until I am just crouched to the ground. I can't leave him.

I remember how much is on the line for this and realize I have to. I stand back up and look down at my unwritten note. I have to leave.

I pick the pen back up and go back to writing it.

Alexander-

I'm sorry I never got to say goodbye to you this morning. By the time you read this, I will be on my way back home. Maybe it's better like this; I've always hated saying goodbye. I will try to talk to you as much as possible and hopefully I can get some time off to come see you. I'm going to miss you so much...

Try to call me as much as possible to let me know how the filming is going. If I happen to not get this part, then maybe I can come back. Until then, I just wanted to let you know how much I'm going to miss you and be thinking about you.

I love you so much.

-Isabelle

I set the pen back down and swipe at the tears rolling down my cheeks. Some have fallen and splattered on the paper. I walk back to the door and take my a

suitcase with me outside.

The air outside is probably the coldest it has been. I pull Alexander's hoodie tighter around me to attempt at keeping myself warm. His hoodie smells like the cologne he wears, and I feel empty at the thought of leaving him.

The taxi rolls up, and the thought becomes a reality. I am leaving him.

I debate whether or not I should get in the taxi, but set my bag in the trunk and climb in before I back out of it. I'm not leaving him forever; it's just a few months.

A lot can happen in a few months.

I convince myself that Alexander will still have feelings about me even when we haven't seen each other. But if those feelings lasted two years, they can last a few months.

Those two, terrible years.

The taxi pulls into the airport and I step out with my bags. I wait at the gate for my name to be called, and walk up to board the plane when it is. Since I don't have Alexander there to help me, a flight attendant has to help me put my bags up top.

I sit in the seat by myself, staring out the window at the beautiful scenery of Ireland. The plane just begins to pull out from the gate, and I realize that I can't back out of leaving now.