Snowflakes | Todd Hewitt

- sorta includes spoilers for book three! -

this was requested by my friend melancholymacaron

it's very short but sweet so

//

Todd had seen snow before, and he'd never thought of it as something particularly interesting. It was just something that happened, something that bothered him when Cillian asked him to shovel a path out from their front door.

But it was your first time ever seeing it, and as soon as he felt the cold flakes flutter on his hot skin, he glanced up and over to you, and his heart skipped a beat.

You were staring up at the swirly, grey sky, your arms lifted slightly at your sides. Your eyes were opened but squinted as icy flakes got themselves caught in your eyelashes. Your cheeks turned pink and your lips curled upward.

Todd slowly walked up to you, thinking how stupid it was that you were so caught up in snow, but how pretty you were-

"It's snowing," you said matter-of-factly, turning your head to grin at him. You held your palms out. "It's snowing." As snowflakes melted at the centers of your hands, you squealed and rubbed them on the front of your pants. "It's cold."

"Yeah," he said, laughing. He looked up at the sky, then started to shrug out of his jacket. "Yer gonna freeze if you keep on standin' here, dummy," he told you, draping the jacket over your shoulders. "C'mon, we can go sit in my tent." His fingers found yours and he tugged lightly.

"No," you said. "I wanna watch it for just a few minutes more. Please, Todd. Besides, I think it's good for the horses. They seem to like it."

Cold, boy colt, their Noise said, lick. Lick.

He looked over at the horses, who hadn't stopped licking at the sky. He knew it was only a matter of time before they started to whine about the cold seeping into their bones, but as he turned to tell you this, he saw you sticking your tongue out to catch some flakes.

He smiled at you and you stopped, turning red. You wiped snowflakes off your face and took his hand again. He couldn't look away from you, from your cheeks full of color, your eyes bright with wonder, your hair covered in giant white flakes.

Todd Hewitt had seen snow before, but experiencing it here with you made him feel like he hadn't.