Chapter 20 | Whatever Razzles Your Berries

“When a defining moment comes along, you can do one of two things: define the moment or let the moment define you.” — Tin Cup

On Monday morning, I wake up to the chorus of my favorite song of the moment, Fancy by Iggy Azalea and Charli XCX, blaring in my ear. I really have no idea why I changed my alarm tone to that song because I really hate having to wake up for school and since that song is what wakes me up for school, I’m sure I’ll end up hating it sooner or later. For the time being though, I love it.

I sleepily reach my hand out to my bedside table, grabbing my iPhone in my hand and disabling the stupid alarm, thus ending the singing. Like I said, I absolutely love the song, I just don’t love having it blasted through my bedroom so early in the morning.

With a quiet groan, I peak open my eyes, letting them adjust to the weirdly lit atmosphere of my bedroom—for some reason, the curtains are drawn, and I never, ever draw my curtains because I don’t want the sun basking its way into my room.

I sigh loudly then and snap my eyes shut, not really in the mood to get up. It’s not just that I don’t want to go to school (well, that’s a part of it but it doesn’t matter) it’s just that I’m so tired and it’s all my dumb boyfriend’s fault.  And by ‘dumb’, I mean ‘perfectly wonderful’.

So, yesterday, right before noon, we (Cassidy, Tucker, Jackson, Graham and I) got back to Andover from Deerfield (which is where we were camping), but I wasn’t really ready to come home and face my mother yet, so I decided to stay over Graham’s house with him for a few hours.

I was just kind of scared of what my mom would do because even though on Friday, shortly after we had gotten to the mountain, I said I would call my mom later, I didn’t. I know that that sounds really awful of me, to just leave my poor mother worried about my well-being, so you should be happy to know that I didn’t do that. I did text her and tell her that I was fine. She proceeded to call me and I ignored the call because I knew she was going to yell at me, and I didn’t want to hear that.

Anyway though, I stayed with Graham for a while and basically, we just did what we always do whenever we hang out- watch movies and eat a bunch of junk food. At around 7:00-ish though, Graham brought me home and fortunately for me, my mother wasn’t home.

She was handling some last minute business at the office (at least, that’s what her note said) before she started her week-long vacation from all things work related. So, since she wasn’t home, it was really easy for me to get in and up to my room. Beckett, Aspen, and Tom were all gone too, which made my life a hundred times easier.

After I was in the house, I just went upstairs and got in my pajamas and watched Netflix for a couple of hours until I heard someone come in the house, and that’s when I pretended to be asleep. I actually fell asleep though and a couple of hours later, at around maybe like, 12 o’clock, I woke up because my lovely boyfriend was calling me and I obviously wasn’t going to just ignore his call, so I answered and we ended up talking until around 3 this morning and I didn’t get back to sleep until around 3:30-ish, which explains my current sleepiness.

I really just wanna throw my covers over my head and go back to sleep, but then I remember that my mom is most likely already awake and is most likely going to be here at the house all day, so she’ll know if skip. Besides, I skipped the last two classes on Friday with Graham after we went to lunch and back to his house, so it’s probably in my best interest to go.

I mean, I hate school just as much as the next girl but I don’t really like skipping. Mostly because it makes me feel all rebellious and guilty and such and I just don’t do very well with handling guilt. Not very well at all.