Chapter 31

It was Sunday afternoon when Elizabeth walked into her apartment. She put down her bag on the floor and hung up her coat. She then picked up the bag and brought it to her bedroom. With a smile on her face, she recounted the day before...

After they had ridden back to the ranch the two of them had coffee with Frank and then returned to the hotel. The second they stepped into the hotel however, James was approached by a man from behind the front desk.  

"Mr. McGregor! I'm sorry to disturb you, sir, your secretary called." The short, stocky man said quickly walking over to them. "I'm sorry sir, but she said it was urgent."

It was then that James excused himself to call his P.A. It had felt strange when he told her that. Once she had been the one on the other end of the line. The one that had to tell her boss that something had gone wrong and that he was needed asap. 

Lost in those thoughts she started walking up the stairs all the way up to her own room. It had been little over an hour when she heard a knock on her door. 

The James that had been dressed like a cowboy before now stood before her in a well-fitting black suit. Her brows furrowed for a second, confused by the sudden outfit change.

"I am so, so sorry Liz. But I have to go and fix this. I don't want to cut our weekend short but I-" 

Elizabeth didn't mean to do so when she stopped listening to him. But somewhere during the time that he was talking to her, her mind had wandered off...

Right now she saw one of the most arrogant men she had ever met fumble over his words. She watched as he racked his fingers through his already messy hair. She listened to his apologies and felt as though this was a completely different James than the one she had met years ago. 

Before even she knew what she did she closed the space in between them. Suddenly her hands were in his hair and his around her waist. It had taken a second for James to react but soon, the man that had stood fumbling over his words in front of her was now kissing her passionately.

One of his hands went up to her neck and pulled her even closer. The two of them momentarily lost themselves in the kiss. It, however, ended abruptly when James his phone rang. Elizabeth had been the one to break the kiss, gesturing for James to pick up his phone. 

"Yes, I'm on my way." He said quickly putting the phone away again. "I'm sorry I really have to go. The pilot will be back tomorrow morning to pick you up and a taxi will bring you to your apartment." He said turning to leave. 

"Wait!" She said, causing him to turn back to her. "Your tie isn't straight." She said adjusting the tie around his neck. "Have a good flight." 

For a moment James just stood there looking at her. Debating what to do next... Tell her to come with him, kiss her once more, or say goodbye and leave. 

The desision was made however when his phone rang once more and he turned around and left. 

That night Elizabeth received a text message telling her that her flight back to New York and taxi to her house etc. had been arranged. At first she thought she would have to leave right away, but she soon noted that her flight left tommorow morning. 

Ten minutes after he had left there was a knock on the door. A young woman of the hotel stood there carrying a folded piece of paper. "Sorry to disturb you miss, but Mr. McGregor told me to give this to you."

Elizabeth thanked the young woman and took the piece of paper. Once the door closed behind her she unfolded it. 

Dear Elizabeth, 

I am sorry for cutting our weekend short... Tomorow my driver will take you to the airport. The plane will leave at ten o'clock in the morning and my driver will be there at the other end and drive you back to your apartment. 

As for dinner and breakfast, both things have been taken care of. 

Love, James.

The paper was slightly crumbled and looked like it had been written in a hurry. She smiled down at it as she read it. Of course he would have taken care of all of those things...

That evening Elizabeth ate roomservice and packed her bags. At around eleven Natalie called and the two of them talked for a while.

The following morning she calmly ate breakfast and started on the trip home. And that is were she found herself right now, home.