Lovely: Kugo The Mighty

"Aw, fuck," the man at the gym muttered.
"What's the matter?" (name) asked, a slightly concerned look on her face. The man looked sickly, and his face was flushed, even though it was the dead of winter.
"I think I might be sick," he said, gently setting the dumbbells down, and cupping his stomach a bit.
"A-are you going to be alright?" She asked, now very concerned for the tall and buff man who was almost cowering from his illness. "I could drive you home if need be," she said, rubbing his back softly.
"I just need to throw up, I think," he said, his voice no higher than a whisper. "Please don't worry about me. Worry about leg day." His joke was not lost on her, as she giggled a bit, which brought a smile to his face.
"But you seem so... So ill. I'll seriously take you home, I promise, I just don't want you to be sick and then have to drive or walk or commute home. That's never fun."
Her kindness was so pure and genuine that he kept smiling, and almost forgot how awful he felt. But within a flash, he was reminded again, and cringed, hunching back over.
Finally, after her patting and rubbing his back for a bit, he stood up and walked towards the bathroom. After emptying his stomach, he gathered up his things, and walked towards (name). She also had her stuff together, and a small granola bar in her hand.
"So, before we leave, you need to drink some water, and eat this, and don't forget to put your coat on."
Although she was being bossy, the man known online as "Kugo" was pleased to have made a new friend. She was very sweet, and ready to lend a hand, even to someone she had just met.
He quickly remembered the dumbbells he'd had before his scene, and looked over to where he had been standing, but the bells weren't there. "She must have lifted them up and put them back," he thought to himself and complied with her demands, as he took a large gulp of water. The granola bar she gave him was chewy and sweet, but it was also a bit scratchy. "What's in this?" Kugo asked, tilting his head a bit.
She smiled and listed off a few healthy proteins, like peanuts and cashews, as well as dried cherries and oats.
He nodded and continued chewing, sitting on the bench by the door of the gym, and contemplating whether or not she had given him the perfect workout snack, when she interrupted his thoughts. "So, do you want me to take you straight there, or should we wait for the granola bar to settle in your stomach a bit?"
The buff Kugo smiled a little and put his coat on. "I think I'm good to go now, if that's alright. But I still think it's a bit absurd that you're just going to take me home," he mentioned quietly, pulling the zipper of his coat up to his neck.
"Why wouldn't I? You look sickly. And, it's the nice thing to do, I'm sure anyone here would do it for you. If you're more comfortable with an absolute stranger charging you cash for a ride home, I can call you a taxi," she said, smiling.
"No, I'm not doubting your kindness, I just think it a tad weird. But that's alright; you seem lovely. Besides, that granola bar was delicious."
"Thank you," she grinned. "My brother works for a company that makes them. He takes a bunch home on holidays."
"Nice," Kugo said, making sure his sneakers were tied tightly. "Okay, Houston, we're ready for liftoff."
She pulled a set of keys out of her pocket and walked past the front desk. "See you, Joshua!"
The man behind the desk smiled and waved. "Bye, (name), bye Kugo. Feel better, man!"
"Thanks, Josh. Don't forget that drink recipe I gave you," he said, thinking of Joshua's health before his own.
Joshua chuckled. "I won't. Have a nice night, guys."
"You too," (name) said, pushing open the gym doors. Her arm extended and she pointed to a red Hyundai, a little car with rock salt and dirt plastered to the sides. "Sorry for the state of it. It's old, it was my fathers'. But, it still runs like a champ, a bit like you," she remarked, muttering the last bit.
"It's still a pretty color," Kugo said, climbing into the passenger's side of the car, as she did with the driver's side.
As she started the car, he watched her meticulously as she worked through a mental checklist, the muscles in her face working back and forth. "Okay," she started. "Now you have to tell me where to go."
"Right, well, it's just to the left and then straight down that road, past the park."
"Got it. Say, why were you at the gym when you're so sick?"
"I have a competition coming up. It's very important to me, and... Well, this online community. I'm known as mighty, but earlier this year I was in the hospital a lot and I lost a lot of weight and muscle mass, and I didn't feel mighty anymore. So I wanted to work myself back up to where I'd been, and..." He was confused, as to why he was telling her so much. Maybe it was because he could tell they'd be good friends. Maybe it was because he liked her compassion and kindness and ability to read him like a book. Maybe it was the way she listened to every word he said like it was new and interesting.

He did know that she was going to end up being important to him. And the same for her as it was for him.