Chapter 4.

I stared motionlessly as the giant ugly castle marched up to me. The ground shook and there was a low rumbling noise. Finally the castle stopped in front of me and emitted fire and smoke from its so-called chimneys before settling down.

Turnip Head impatiently jumped around me and I was left saying "Wut!" I couldn't believe me eyes. Was the castle expecting me to come in and join it?

"There is no way am I going in that scary creepy thing" I said to Turnip Head.

The castle had taken it as an offence and stood up again. I walked a few paces back as the castle swept past me. I had a feeling it was angry at me. I turned my head and saw a small wooden door at the backside of the castle. Turnip Head jumped at the door then back at me.

"Do you want me to go in there?" I asked it softly as the castle moved far away. Turnip Head jumped twice. I was gonna say no when a strong gust of wind made me shiver. I hugged myself tightly.

"It's better than dying out here" I said to myself and then called to the castle "hey wait up!"

I ran towards it as its pace slowed down. I still felt weak but I ran as fast as my weak legs could carry me. Finally I leapt at the door and held the knob tightly. I turned back to Turnip Head who was jumping a little way behind and waved at him.

"So long!" I cried "thanks for your help."

I turned to the door knob where my shivering hand rested. I sighed and reassured myself, "Howl won't want my heart. He goes for pretty girls only."

I opened the door but surprisingly it didn't budged. I pushed it but still it didn't moved. "Open up!" I ordered it as I pushed it hard. Suddenly it flew open and I landed inside on the stairs. I immediately got up and saw a tall young fellow near twenty peering at me.

He had a long angular face with glass green eyes that were unusually light. He wore flamboyant blue and silver suit and his face was perplexed. He brushed his fair blonde hair from his face.

"Were you the one trying to shut the door at me?" I demanded. He looked at me before protesting "no! You were the one trying to push the door down to get in."

"I was not" I snapped as I tried standing up. He offered me his hand but I rejected. I still don't know him.

He went red in face and walked upstairs saying, "I'll see how you manage then."

"How rude!" I said to myself as I gripped the edges of the stairs and stood up. Slowly I walked upstairs. When I reached the main room, the fellow was nowhere to be seen.

"He must've gone upstairs" I said noticing the stairs that went up. The castle was quiet from inside. There were no noises and it didn't feel like we were moving at all. It was all magical inside. I turned around and examined the dirty room. There was a table in a corner stacked with books and scribbled notes. On the walls, many ugly colored potions rested. I don't want to know what they are. I noticed a fire burning in the hearth and quickly went to warm myself up. I pulled a chair from the side and sat on it in front of the fire.

Taking a deep breathe, I recalled everything that I had faced. I thought about the fellow. I wondered who he was. Not Howl, I hope.

I stared at the fire and thought about my family. At this, I suddenly burst out crying. I hid my face in my hands and cried. All my wounds started hurting again.

"Oh my," I heard a croaky high pitched voice "I haven't met such a pretty girl in my whole life."

My face immediately looked up petrified at the thought that someone talked to me. I rubbed my tears away and feasted the scene I was facing. In the hearth was a burning fire. In the fire was a burning face. And the face was talking.