|| Chapter Seven - Earwigging ||

The next day, I managed to drag myself from my bed. The ache in my back dulled into a light throbbing sensation at the base of my spine. Me and my mother - Holly - hadn't spoken since I stormed off last night and I dreaded the confrontation about to come.

I was cutting it close for time this morning after I woke up late and I knew I wouldn't make it to school in time given my current predicament. Pulling on my combat boots, I called for my mother, "Mom, give me a ride to school?" I asked hopefully. I didn't hear her reply. My heart ached with the thought of mom giving me the silent treatment. She'd only ever done that once, I remember the incident vividly.

   She had begged me not to tell my father about her sneaking off to go drinking with my aunt Theresa and, like the good child I was, I swore I wouldn't tell him. However, as the evening progressed and me and my dad had both had one too many fizzy apple belts, the secret slipped out. Long story short, they argued for a good few hours after my mom came home reeking of vodka and smoke. She ignored me for a record breaking two weeks, that's a lot of guilt to put on a six year old girl.

   My mothers treatment of me has always been... harsh? I suppose it has spanned from her less-than-pleasant upbringing. My mom was one of five, you had the oldest Theresa, then my mom -aka Holly- then my uncle Matt, uncle Callum and finally the baby of the five- Aunt Jessica.

   My grandparents weren't the most loving parents in the world. My grandpa was a veteran in the navy for a consecutive period of time and was away a lot so the responsibility always landed on Nanny Greta. She was working three different jobs at some points and so she didn't really have time to douse her children in affection- it was either be tough on them and help them grow or leave them be and see what happens.

   Fortunately- and I use fortunately with a heavy heart- my mother grew from her own parents teachings and voila, here I am. In this situation. Really wishing my Nanny Greta had been a little bit more affectionate.

   I tugged firmly on the laces of my boots and rose to my feet. It was nearing 8:30, I was definitely going to be late no matter what happens. Groaning, I marched down the stairs. I could hear the faint chatter of my mother however, she didn't sound like her usual self. Her words seemed measured, as if she was calculating everything she was saying.

   My eyebrows knitted together as I approached the kitchen, I lingered behind the doorframe and listened in.

   "Yes, Jensen... I understand... don't worry about us, we've got through this before and I'm certain we can do it again now that Aria is a bit older... I won't let him... no... you aren't listening to me... Jensen please... deal with the dragons and then get back to me... it's their fault and that stupid Isa-" she stopped suddenly.

   "Aria, is that you?" I paused, she shuffled backwards slightly, surveying the hallway. I held my breath and prayed that she didn't notice me, eventually she went back to her conversation, "Yes, I have to go. I'll call you later, bye." She rushed her words and shut her phone down, I made a show of coming around the corner.

   I greeted her with a small smile, "Morning mom..." she watched me as I walked into the kitchen, "Listen, I'm really late and I need a ride." Mom didn't seem to have any suspicions about me listening in on her conversation, however, one thing I unsettled me.

   She mentioned the Dragons, and if that didn't mean the Golden Dragons, then I was at a serious loss. Not only that but the comment about "doing it again" unsettled me further. I had a strong desire to inquire into what her conversation was about but that would undoubtedly land me in more trouble, after all, my mother abhorred me listening in to her conversations. She always has.

   With a defeated sigh, she finally spoke up, "Fine, I'll get my keys." She walked past me and into the living room. I frowned and made my way to the front door, she was hiding something from me and I wanted to know what.

   The car ride was silent, the only sound was the gentle humming of the engine. It appeared that silent car journeys were our thing, we were very good at them. Heartbreakingly so. Occasionally my mother would drop her eyes down to the phone in her lap or she'd chew nervously on her bottom lip but never did she utter a single word. Not even a goodbye as she waited for me to get out of the car.

   "Thanks." I said at a near whisper. She nodded her head firmly and gave me a thin lipped smile before rushing off again. I pursued my lips and watched her car disappear.

   My first period was Spanish. The disappointment was overwhelming,I had hoped that my being late would at least shave off first period from my schedule but alas, to no avail.

   The classroom was deadly silent, the only voice was coming from my teacher who was explaining something in Spanish. Shocker. I noticed that the reason for the silence was that the ratio of sleeping students to alert students was- according to my assumption- likely at 17:2.

   Mr Bishop addressed me coldly before speaking up, "Ah, Miss Davidson, how nice of you to finally join us. I do hope this won't be a regular occurrence?" His final statement was more of a question than a qualm.

I shook my head, "Of course not." Was all I offered. On my way to my seat, I noticed Devon. We made eye contact for a split second before I looked away, unable to face his unforgiving stare. I could feel his eyes following me as I made my way to the nearest available seat- or the one farthest away from him.

However, his look promised interrogation and I certainly couldn't hide from him all day.

I have a habit of getting carried away when I write and I don't know when to stop and move on to my next chapter. I'm really sorry if the long paragraphs are inconvenient. My apologies. But I can't help myself, I start out writing with a clear aim of what I want to cover in the chapter and I just end up writing a whole backstory on Holly- someone I was favouring to be a small character.

©️//®️

Link to my other story: 🔗✔️
(Unavailable)